Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a whim I decided to check the part number on my SMEC for my '89 Daytona Shelby T2 5-speed. Here's the details of this ECU...

The previous owner had 2 turbo cars. 1 was this Daytona and the other was an '89 Voyager. The Voyager had an engine swap from an '88 Shelby Z, along with ECU. That '88 ECU got swapped with the one in my Daytona (now my car, then still his) at some point and was never swapped back. So my car should have an '88 T2 SMEC. Great.

Here's the issue. The part number on the casing is 5234948 which comes up in 2 different places as an '89 TBI 5-speed minivan SMEC. Ok, that matches his old van so the casings got swapped. Opened up the case and the part number inside says 5227794 which I looked up on AutoECMs.com and they claim it's for an '89 2.5 LeBaron M/T. So, I'm wondering what the hell it actually is. My car seems to run fine as far as I can tell, aside from being a little rich at idle. Runs just fine and pulls like a stock T2 should. And it has the code for an air charge temp sensor because at some point the sensor went bad and threw a fault code for it. So what is this computer really? Is the part number listed anywhere else inside the case?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would say the best way to be certain is to open it up and get the 3 numbers on the chip, then see if that cross references, the case may have been swapped.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which board's chips do I need to reference? I assume the larger one with the main connector and not the small board with the 14-pin. Are the chips actually different between models such that it will say what calibration is present? I thought the chips were the same and the code was flashed into an EPROM?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The "bottom" board has one chip with a sticker on it with a 3 digit number, that number corresponds to the last three digits in the part number, which then tells you what the year/application is. Usually.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The "bottom" board has one chip with a sticker on it with a 3 digit number, that number corresponds to the last three digits in the part number, which then tells you what the year/application is. Usually.
Yeah, those 3 digits are (mostly) unique to the calibration. I have found a few that are re-used (from like LM to SBEC). But, at least by ECU generation, they are unique.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I'll crack it back open and take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silver label in the bottom left corner of the board says 036 in larger print

1 - 9 of 9 Posts