Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some scenarios that will cause the wastegate to not close. I was driving on stock 13 psi and heard a loud pop. No little boost me belief is my wastegate is stuck open but since its spring loaded shouldn't it close unless its rusted (which mine is not) I do not think my turbo is blown because it still spools up to a good 4 or 5 psi. Car will not go past 3k RPMS. When idling at 3k i still get 20 Hg on vacuum??? All hoses are on correctly and snug.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
4-5psi isnt much at all,

pull the inlet pipe/filter off the turbo and look into it if u can and see if u can see black soot.. also move the compressor around and see how much play there is.

also, spin the compressor wheel by hand a few times and see if it freely spins or if there is alot of drag/scratching noise

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thinking was a blown turbo shouldnt be able to boost at all and probably shouldnt sound to amusing either. Heading out now to snoop around

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
My thinking was a blown turbo shouldnt be able to boost at all and probably shouldnt sound to amusing either. Heading out now to snoop around
yes and no, my old t3/t4 hybrid turbonectics super 50 was pretty much destroyed and it still boosted normally to 18psi and held it / didnt surge or fall off

kinda depends what fails and how bad it fails.

·
Registered
328 Posts
if you heard a loud pop and then no more boost, look at your intercooler and the tubing something must of busted

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the only reason ive been singling in on turbo is i heard a noise and felt whatever i busted hit the bottom of the car a few times and the first thing i felt was near my foot. Both hoses connected to intercooler are intact and there isn't much mechanically to an intercooler....im not sure what really could break on an ari/air intercooler to be honest. Kinda dark out but no shaft play and i dint see any black soot on the turbo.

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
if you heard a loud pop and then no more boost, look at your intercooler and the tubing something must of busted
i usually i start from the turbo and work my way to the throttle body

see if the turbo itself is bad cuz thats a major component, the check the lines and clamps all the way to the throttle body..

i do it that way cuz the closer u get to the engine the less expensive it gets (in most cases lol)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically what i can say is externally it looks like everything is normal and nothing should be wrong.... when i drive it i hope to god no one pulls up next to me at a stoplight. Car is SLOW not going past 3k, and is at 4 psi at 3k. Makes whoooshing noise like it usually does when my wastegate is open except now its open at like 0 psi lol and noise gets louder as psi increases. My thinking because more air is being let out since is wont close.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best case scenario wastegate is fried... since its connected to the turbo doesn't that basically mean a whole new turbo anyway? I cant for the life of me get a good angle at the wastegate arm to check movement

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
only way to check ic is to pressure test it or hook the boost hose directly from the turbo to the throttle body

and if it works normaly with it direct connected, then the fmic is the issue

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the tower blew would it be noticeable from the outside, intercooler looks normal. and then what hit the bottom of my car?
I could just ghetto hook up my spare FMIC for a test run also

·
[X]treme Aggression
1,881 Posts
If the tower blew would it be noticeable from the outside, intercooler looks normal. and then what hit the bottom of my car?
I could just ghetto hook up my spare FMIC for a test run also
drive it and check for smoke out the exhaust when on the throttle/boosting

run it / park it / check for oil leaks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Smoke from where? Ive ran it a few times no oil no smoke no smells..... Its like my cars is messing with me. I think what ill do is use my old intercooling hoses to temporarily fit to my FMIC and rev it at idle. Usually i can squeeze out 10 psi at redline. I should get more with a higher flow IC.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes Apexi BOV. Already ran the car with it plugged up. At first i thought it was the problem also. Another member recommended the idea. I figured i could run the as if it had no BOV for a test and same results.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I keep rechecking my hoses.... i wish that was the problem. If it was a leak it would be a boost leak, which ive checked more closely than vacuum hoses

1 - 20 of 21 Posts