Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm kinda new here but not entirely to the turbo dodges. Tonyz2897 is one of my good friends and I have helped him with alot of the mods to his cars. I've just gotten a 1988 sundance 2.2 turbo. I've thought about an intercooler, exhaust, grainger, extra injector... Have I missed anything? Will a probe intercooler be sufficient or should I go with a talon unit? I'm not going for an all out drag car (i'm on my way to two of those anyway) I'm just going for a strong daily driver.
Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you want 18psi, you pretty much will want to change your turbocharger for a larger Garrett one.

for an intercooler, i highly recommend a large NPR.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Moof said:
If you want 18psi, you pretty much will want to change your turbocharger for a larger Garrett one.

for an intercooler, i highly recommend a large NPR.
He already has a Garrett, and all 3 of them are basically the same-stock anyhow!

Intercoolers, search the induction section but generally, stay away from Plastic end tank type units.

Your going to need to stop the MAP cutout and you might want to upgrade your fuel pump. For 18 psi, you might need 2 more cold starts. On my 2.5, medium intercooler, large exhaust, Garrett, 3 Vw cold starts and the pump return line pinched hit a maximum of 18, Yes, I know its a 2.5 so you will need slightly less fuel. :D

Oh and of course, read www.thedodgegarage.com until you memorize it, :thumb: lol!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
hey dog......how many cold starts for 15 psi boost when at 13.5 plugs were slightly white..(no extra injectors..) ?..im thinking 1...vw... i looked for saab or bmw injector....heard they were good for twice as much fuel.....also what about the toyota cold start ibjectors..they have 2 holes...both smaller than the vw ones...

ALSO HOPE TO FIND A PRESSURE SWITCH AT NAPA....:)

eef

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
One should do it but 2 wouldn't be overkill, if it is, you can always unplug it. Napa should have your Hobbs switch for you, :D

I didn't test any injectors but the VW one's I got, flowed pretty well!
Just try to test them, I checked a few, some the flow was a nice cone spray and some shot out like a cannon!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Simon, the 88 has a Mitsu,not a Garrett!

Instead of going through all the work of cold start injectors & pressure switches I'd go with a set of +20's.
Also, aside from plastic end tanks, any IC is better than no IC.

Also, get a Map cutout, G-valve & good AF, which all can be bought from Dawesdevices.com & you will hit 18 psi with the mitsu.

·
Registered
538 Posts
3 injectors to get 18psi damn. I am hoping my one saab injector can do it. Tony's alky injection is looking better and better. The junkyard down here almost always has a couple turbo cars in it. Last time I was there it still had a volvo and a ford super coupe with intercoolers still in them but thats been over a month ago. It been raining every damn Friday lately so I haven't felt like going on Saturdays for awhile.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I run 19 psi boost in my Shelby Lancer. All I needed was MP +20 injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and an adjustable cut out eliminator from MM Racing.

On your '88, I would recommend upgrading to a Garrett TII turbocharger at the very least. The Mitsu will boost to 18 psi but it will not live very long doing so. You will also need an intercooler, and a healthy fuel system. You may want to upgrade the fuel pump and put new fuel filters in for peace of mind.

I wouldn't screw around with diodes (to prevent overboost) or extra cold start injectors, but they do work.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
my 88 p has mitsu, with a 2.25 down pipe if it isnt bad enough already

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
TURBOVANMAN ROCKS....

dog you are the man......lol :)

why is it i call napa and no one there has any idea what a pressure switch is.....did they hire the guys radioshack turned down????

i even gave them 2 dif. part #ssssss

eef

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
eef mcglikn said:
TURBOVANMAN ROCKS....

why is it i call napa and no one there has any idea what a pressure switch is.....did they hire the guys radioshack turned down????

eef

Thanks, they should have them, I don't have a part # handy for you though, its been so long since I needed one! Get them to look in the Hobbs catalog with you and then you can point it out!

The +20's will work with higher boost but they usually make the car run rich when not in boost, some have found this to be incorrect but I guess you can try it and see what happens!

·
Registered
538 Posts
eef mcglikn said:
TURBOVANMAN ROCKS....

eef
You can get them off e-bay for a lot cheaper. Think the hobbs switch is almost $40. I just bought 2 pressure switches off ebay for $26 with shipping.

·
Registered
238 Posts
turbovanman said:
Thanks, they should have them, I don't have a part # handy for you though, its been so long since I needed one! Get them to look in the Hobbs catalog with you and then you can point it out!

The +20's will work with higher boost but they usually make the car run rich when not in boost, some have found this to be incorrect but I guess you can try it and see what happens!
dont you have to lower the fuel pressure when u put the bigger injectors?? maybe thats why some people run rich....??? i dont know for sure though.... havnt messed around with that.... yet

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
ke6960 said:
dont you have to lower the fuel pressure when u put the bigger injectors?? maybe thats why some people run rich....??? i dont know for sure though.... havnt messed around with that.... yet
As I said, if you turn the fuel pressure down, then you can't go higher in boost, so theres no point in running bigger injectors unless you get a cal for them. Some find the 2.2 cals run ok with +20's. I have found 2.5 cals run pig rich with +20's.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
ke6960 said:

You could run the larger injectors with lower pressure. Then get a pinch valve ( FMU ) to run the pressure up higher when on boost. That way you keep the off boost drivability and have the fuel requirements met for higher boost levels. Or you can go ahead and get a performance calibration from Turbo's Unleashed or FWD Performance and combine it with larger injectors. Honestly, you'll have better results with a custom calibration than with mechanical methods such as a FMU. But Gus and others made it possible to go fast without such provisions in the past. The only difference between 5 years ago and now, is the fact that we (the chrysler community) have a better understanding of the PCM's code. And a few are modifying it with great results.

Wink

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
get bigger exhaust and intercooler, unplug the wastegate can, map cutout, use an af gauge and a 5th injector for safety, 18psi is closer than u think

1 - 20 of 22 Posts