Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a stock 88 tona shelby z. I let it sit for 3 days and now the boost gauge says that i am running about 4-5 pounds of boost. The car seems to be pretty slow now. I just don't know what happened?

Here's what I think that it could possibly be but not sure.

1. Catalytic converter has rattled for a few months and it ran fine. maybe it finally completely collapsed.

2. I think that the head might be cracked.

3. might have blown the head gasket but there is no white smoke.

4. Maybe just blew the turbo

I don't know what it is so if anyone could suggest what it might be and how to fix it please help me. thanks in advance.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK i didn't get the rod from the wastegate. I did drive it today though and if I gradually came into the throttle it would boost up fine for a little while. Then it started to not boost up at all again. It sounds like a blow off valve going off over and over like ssss ssss ssss ssss ssss... if I stay in the throttle. And if I have high rpms and come into the throttle it sounds like a belt squealing. would this be the wastegate or something else?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could this be my catalytic converter? It has collapsed and it rattles. I took the car out again and it took over a 1/4mile to get up to 55. If i put it in neutral and hold it to the floor it won't rev over 4000 rpm. I checked the vacuum lines and they look fine unless i missed one.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
Hi. I have a stock 88 tona shelby z. I let it sit for 3 days and now the boost gauge says that i am running about 4-5 pounds of boost. The car seems to be pretty slow now. I just don't know what happened?

Here's what I think that it could possibly be but not sure.

1. Catalytic converter has rattled for a few months and it ran fine. maybe it finally completely collapsed.

I don't know what it is so if anyone could suggest what it might be and how to fix it please help me. thanks in advance.
Catalytic converters can become plugged-up but they can't collapse. Unhook the exhaust from the turbo and see if it cures the problem.

· Registered
2,419 Posts

The rattling is from the material breaking up. It can clog up the cat. I would replace it regardless. That's where you search should start.

Not unless you see steam coming from the exhaust.

While a head gasket can blow and you might not see steam. However, I don't think this is your problem. You can easily test this by doing a compression test.

I doubt it. You'd see smoke.

If the cat doesn't fix it I'd run a compression test on all cylinders and I'd pressure test the intake/vac system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.