Turbo Dodge Forums banner

What harm and matters - does driving without thermostat and a cold engine do?

511 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Dr. Johny Dodge 
#1 ·
Hei Guys - Im think my headgasket is blown, cooling is missing - and bubbling - and some white oil on dipstick. And engine runs a little rough at about 2000 rpm.
Because i cant do the repair right now, my plan is to take the pressure from the cooling system - by removing the thermostat and radiator cap. It seem like oil remains black doing this method. I quess the leak is small.
I think i will be able to drive the car this way for short periods - a couple of monthes.
But question is - do i harm engine driving with cold engine during summer? Increase in milage?

#3 ·
Just so you are aware...coolant (anti-freeze) in the oil will destroy rod and main bearings.
My Son lost an engine due to coolant getting into the oil from a water pump leak on a Concord 2.7L.
The bearings were destroyed and he lost oil pressure.

#4 ·
It depends on the climate you live in. In Phoenix, I doubt that running no thermostat will ever have any significant repercussions.
The overheating due to higher coolant flow and no thermostat is a myth. I believed that long enough until I actually tried it myself on various engines just to see what happened. I even bought a car in Phoenix and drove it the 1700 or whatever miles it was home and then discovered that it had no thermostat.

The problem I see with running no thermostat is that H20 is a byproduct of the fuel combustion. When an engine is running 190+ degrees, that byproduct isn't going to stay in your engine in liquid form very well. At 140-150 degrees or less, you can decide whether or not that'll be a long-term issue. I suggest that it will, but it will take a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.