Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am burning oil after warmed up when I pull away from a stop light after sitting for a few seconds. Also when I "romp" the throotle in the driveway a few times. No issues when cold or driving around; maybe a puff once a while when shifting gears so I'm told. It has new engine and new turbo, second new turbo because changed one becausd I thought that was the issue. Compression is great, passed leak down test, plugs are perfect, intake hoses are oil free. Pcv valve was removed by previous owner when cold air intake put on. Has an air breather in the place of the Pcv, no smoke out of engine or blowing air. Could this be exhaust valve seals? How do you check? Why wohldnt it smoke all the time? Any idea onwhat this could be,? I am so lost, everything has only 60 miles on it! I varified correct drainback line used, no rtv used, correct angle of line on turbo. Could .5 quart too much oil cause this? Any help is appreciated. This is a '90 VNT Daytona.

·
Administrator
25,553 Posts
Valve seals would have to be checked visually but...
Why was the head not done when the engine was rebuilt?

How many miles on the new engine?
Were the rings seated properly?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valve seals would have to be checked visually but...
Why was the head not done when the engine was rebuilt?

How many miles on the new engine?
Were the rings seated properly?
The entire engine was bought from S&J and was rebuilt. Engine has about 4 hours on it. How do you know if rings were properly seated? There is zero oil fouling on plugs. That is why I was thinking exhaust valve seals with all the symptoms it has and two new turbos from Turbos R Us.

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
Pcv valve was removed by previous owner when cold air intake put on. Has an air breather in the place of the Pcv, no smoke out of engine or blowing air
Wait? That would be your problem right there, a pcv valve must be in place from the valve cover to intake manifold and do whatever you want to the drainage side.

PCV valve doesn't need to be removed for a cold air intake, you just have to do something else with the drainage side, either dump to ground or a catch can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait? That would be your problem right there, a pcv valve must be in place from the valve cover to intake manifold and do whatever you want to the drainage side.

PCV valve doesn't need to be removed for a cold air intake, you just have to do something else with the drainage side, either dump to ground or a catch can.
Where is the drainage side? I have always heard that the PCV takes pressure, if any, off the engine and recirculates in the combustion for emission reasons. This has a open breather to release pressure, if any, to atmosphere just like old engines before PCV's. I have taken these off other v8 engines when hopping the up replacing with breathers and never had issues. How was the stock set up? On other imports I had the PCV hose fed into air cleaner housing which had the same atmospheric pressure as just venting at the valve cover. I did notice on the turbo drain back line there is a nipple coming off it that has been plugged. Is that the "drainage side" of the PCV? I guess I could put a PCV in and run the hose to my air cleaner on the cold air intake which is a huge 4 inch pipe. Still not sure what that would get me since zero block pressure is zero block pressure either way. Is the drain back for oil that comes through the PVC and need to be taken out of the intake system, no pressure or oil coming out of the breather? I must be missing something so I do appreciate the education.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If the line went to the intake manifold wouldn't the PCV see boost pressure? If it failed would you subject you engine to excessive pressure and be causing what you don't want to happen, pressure in the engine?

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
The pcv valve is meant to draw excess pressure from the engine during vaccum. When you hit boost, the valve closes and the "drain" line plumbed into the air intake/airbox before the turbo sucks air through, drawing air out the crankcase via venturi effect.

Im going with excess crankcase pressure due to improper pcv setup. Set it up correctly, so you can verify it isnt the problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pcv valve is meant to draw excess pressure from the engine during vaccum. When you hit boost, the valve closes and the "drain" line plumbed into the air intake/airbox before the turbo sucks air through, drawing air out the crankcase via venturi effect.

Im going with excess crankcase pressure due to improper pcv setup. Set it up correctly, so you can verify it isnt the problem.
Well it is time to give it a shot. Can I drill a hole in my air intake pipe anywhere or is one place better than another? What is best way to handle the draining needed that another poster mentioned?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excess exhaust pressure can cause a turbo to smoke and fail.

Less than 15 minutes of run time on this rebuild turbo, paired with a partically clogged cat.

Thank you. Is there an easy way to test the cat? Or should I just change it?

·
Administrator
25,553 Posts
The only " true" way to test a Cat is to check exhaust backpressure.
No more than 2 PSI at 2000 RPM's unloaded.

EXHAUST BACKPRESSURE TESTERS
Tool Aid 33600 Exhaust Back Pressure Tester | eBay

Great deal on Waekon - BPT02 at ToolTopia.com

PCV should still be in place with it's tee on the valve cover and not have been affected when installing a cold air intake.
Only the breather side would have been affected by removing the air box.

PCV TEE(IN CENTER OF PIC) MOPAR #4387568

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

PCV should still be in place with it's tee on the valve cover and not have been affected when installing a cold air intake.

Thank you sir!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Is it a vacuum hose that goes to the intake manifold or the big hose off the PCV?
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.