Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled apart my throttle body hoping that I would find my idle problem. So far nothing. The TPS sensor seems to be in working condition. But then I pulled this off the TB also. I went into the parts store to try and look it up but we found nothing. Only thing I can think it might be in the AIS. Idle speed sensor. How ever it doesn't match the one they had on the computer. I took some pictures of it hoping that maybe you guys can help me identify this sensor and maybe let me know if I'm on the right path to fixing my idle problem..

Thanks.

Just in case no one can help me out. This sensor is strange. the black part of the sensor has 3 small gears in the bottom and the motor part of it has 1 gear that turns the other 3 gears. I'm very lost on this. Plesae help!

Here are the pictures of the sensor:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sometimes i think the best option is to buy a 52mm for like 80$ with the sensors
Is that just a direct bolt on mod? I'm sure it is, just asking about it before I go trying to source one. A throttle body mod is something I was looking into sense the factory one is very very tiny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
almost, the hole in the intake will need to be enlarged.

I used a wad of paper towel stuffed into intake and cleaned it out with a vacume cleaner as I ground it out , so pulling intake was not needed.
I'm confused? The throttle body doesn't bolt to the intake. It has those rubber hoses that run between the turbo inlet and the intake so the TB doesn't bolt directly to the intake. So the enlarging of the intake hole is confusing, unless you talking about matching it to the TB. Which wouldn't be required to run the bigger TB, just would flow better.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Your stuck with the factory TB since your '87 is the old suck-through setup. They're talking about the '88 and later blow-through intake setup. The only factory '87 with the blow-through setup is the Shelby Z Daytona(5spd cars), and the '87 GLHS and Shelby Lancer. You might try looking up an AIS for an '86 turbo car, and maybe they will show the right one.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yep, '87 & earlier T1 Idle speed motor. Many wrong listings in auto parts stores. Can be found easily at salvage yards. Try squirting the electric motor up with some WD-40 and lube the moving plastic parts with a viscous lube like vasoline or a thin film of a heavy grease. Cross your fingers and reinstall before you go batty finding a replacement.

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
sometimes i think the best option is to buy a 52mm for like 80$ with the sensors
Is that just a direct bolt on mod? I'm sure it is, just asking about it before I go trying to source one. A throttle body mod is something I was looking into sense the factory one is very very tiny.
Yep, '87 & earlier T1 Idle speed motor. Many wrong listings in auto parts stores. Can be found easily at salvage yards. Try squirting the electric motor up with some WD-40 and lube the moving plastic parts with a viscous lube like vasoline or a thin film of a heavy grease. Cross your fingers and reinstall before you go batty finding a replacement.
+ 1 I was gonna say that if it was a log, which that AIS motor is from, there are really no "Upgrades" for the throttle body.

The gear on the motor turs the 3 others, which in turn open and close the air passage at the end of the sensor, which controls your idle. Not sure if they are indexed but I wouldn't of taken it out of the clamp lol.

I can see what my JY holds as far as that motor, I am SURE they have log cars lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.