Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my head back from the machine shop and now I need to re-install the exhaust manifold studs into the head. what sealant should I use on the studs that go into the coolant passages? i was thinking loctite liquid teflon

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Teflon would be fine. I have used the tape stuff with success.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
liquid teflon works great too....so far...except that one stud that i had helicoiled....damnit...lol

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
maybe try the tape next time. :p
my thinking was that with the liquid it might work its way into the heli-coil and seal it better...but with the aluminum head, and whatever the helicoil and stud are made out of, im pretty sure the expansion rates are just too different for much of anything to seal permanantly....fortunatly it only leaks for a little while during cool down, and not once things are heated up. little smoke as it burns off the mani when i start it, but definatly liveable...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I leak too, a little oil here some coolant there just part of owning a piece of cra, err meant history. lolz

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
i used the liquid sealant... :)ive had many leaks, but to many to notice if the studs are leaking:laugh:

ive had the engine in the car wait 2weeks?

Valve cover leak ~ today, oil all over my intake manifold:thumb: thefix copper spray on the head surface, cork gasket, black RTV, valve cover. its the first time i have used the cork so maybe it will have some luck:rolleyes:

oil pan gasket failure.. its still leaking:) im hoping to have that one fixed tonight as well:rolleyes:

coolant... from the turbo return line ~ the 1/2in heater hose on the stock lines busted:) there was some fittings that i just forgot to wrap in tape, i had a heater hose spring a leak(it was a new hose to..)

:)so if the studs leak next im ignoring them:thumb:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
When the helicoil was installed it should have been glued into the hole if there is coolant or other substances that could leak. I use a product we get from international I think permatex sells it as well called lock and seal. It is a very thick loctite. I lightly coat the outside of the helicoil before installation and install it. With the way a helicoil is made it will ooze between the coils and onto the installation tool while installing the coil. The tool needs cleaned after installing the helicoil. I then let the stuff dry. If you have time a day or two works well. Then before installing a stud or what ever I run a tap into the hole to scrap any lock and seal off your new threads. Locking in a helicoil will also help if the bolt or stud needs to be removed later to make sure the helicoil doesn't pull out with the bolt. It doesn't happen often but it does seem to happen only in locations a new coil can't be installed without pulling other things apart.
Tim

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It doesn't happen often but it does seem to happen only in locations a new coil can't be installed without pulling other things apart.
Tim
that seems to be how things go...lol...i dont know if any sealant was used when it was put i or not. the shop that did it is pretty reliable in my opinion, but i didnt look closely to see if they used anything or not. either way, i know for the future, and its not bad enough to cause me any worry...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
When the helicoil was installed it should have been glued into the hole if there is coolant or other substances that could leak. I use a product we get from international I think permatex sells it as well called lock and seal. It is a very thick loctite. I lightly coat the outside of the helicoil before installation and install it. With the way a helicoil is made it will ooze between the coils and onto the installation tool while installing the coil. The tool needs cleaned after installing the helicoil. I then let the stuff dry. If you have time a day or two works well. Then before installing a stud or what ever I run a tap into the hole to scrap any lock and seal off your new threads. Locking in a helicoil will also help if the bolt or stud needs to be removed later to make sure the helicoil doesn't pull out with the bolt. It doesn't happen often but it does seem to happen only in locations a new coil can't be installed without pulling other things apart.
Tim
I use Loctite 609. Works good for Helicoils and Thread-serts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts