Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I have a 87 Charger. Been off the road for awhile. Just gonna freshin things up. New gaskets, new lines , water pump, oil pump, and bearings.
While I'm in the bottom end I mic'd the rod journals , checked them in a few spots and found a measurement of 1.949 / 1.947 checking in about 3 spots on each journal. I see in the manual the crank is supposed to be 1.968/1.969.
I know I had a shop cut this crank about 10 years ago but couldn't remember how much. Looking at the numbers it looks like .020 would do the trick.
If this is right I think I ordered the wrong bearings....they say .010 on each half. Somebody refresh my aging memory, what is the right part, or for that matter anyone have a Clevite part # ?
Thanks,Tim

·
Registered
768 Posts
Rings too??

You might be right with the bearings though. I always thought that's how much they turned it down. They bring the cutting tool in .010" which would end up taking off .010" on each side, for a total of .020".

I'm not 100% on that though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rings are std...no problem.
I see you explaining the process the way I'm thinking!!!
I'm feeling the .020 is right.
Ayone else wanna verify this???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Did you try just test fitting them on the bearings... I imagine that you could see the difference. If not, plastigauge WILL tell you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts