Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VNT Le Barron convertible that is rusty enough I don't want to repair it.
The engine, 5 speed, suspension and breaks have been maintained for 20 years by the same mechanic/owner that has lived on my street at least that long.

What I am wanting help with is learning what vehicles this drive train (Even k member and rear axle) will bolt into. I know Daytonas are the same, but what else?
I am really wanting to get a Lancer, or 4 door Le Barron or an Omni. (They seem pretty hard to find in good shape)

How much work would be involved with getting everything - minus dash - into an Omni? I would love to find a final year build withan airbag and the extra padding on the dash. (An America?)

I am hoping someone out there can tell me if these and others could swap even the newer style dash and console.

And on a side note does anyone know where I can find a good VNT build thread? I will be searching any way, but I want to do upgrades while doing the swap and want to do everything right one time!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,Derek

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The engine, transmission, drive shafts, front suspension componets, rear springs, K frame, rear trailing axle will fit into the following vehicles

1980-1988 Dodge Aries K and Plymouth Reliant K ( with 2.2 or 2.5opt only)
1982-1984 Dodge 400 LE ( with 2.2 only )
1980-1987 Dodge 600 SE/ES and convert ( with 2.2 or 2.5opt only) K Car
1985-1988*1989 Dodge Lancer* Prod. end in 1988, Chrysler LeBaron GTS
1987-1993 Chysler LeBaron Coupe/Convert Same as yours
1983-1988 Chrysler (*E Class 83-84) ,(600 ES 84-87) & New Yorker ( with 2.2or 2.5 opt only)
1987-1992 Dodge Shadow /ES and Plymouth Sundance /RS ( with 2.2 or 2.5opt only)
1989-1993 Dodge Spirt ES/RT and Plymouth Aclaim /LE ( 2.5 only)

I don't think the engine/trans to frame mounts are the same for later V6 models for the above list of applicable vehicles.

The L body Charger/Omni engine or Transmission will fit no K frame or suspension componets no springs or rear trailing axle will work in those car lines

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
reciently I learned of a no fit situation
member Knightmoves is doing a build thread called new toy

he's rebodying a 91 daytona wuth the shell from an 87

and this is one thing he found out

91 trailing axle - will not fit the older body
when this part was changed I'm not sure yet - but the distance from center of wheel to where it mounts is diff and it ends up putting the wheel in the wrong spot

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Idk about this exactly but will that trans manage to fit into an omni? I thought Ive read here some fab has to be done to the omni to fit the trans but idk on that one. And DodgeG24Man says itll work so itll probably be fine.

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
Idk about this exactly but will that trans manage to fit into an omni? I thought Ive read here some fab has to be done to the omni to fit the trans but idk on that one. And DodgeG24Man says itll work so itll probably be fine.

Just use Omni mounts.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
I think one of the holes in the omni mount needs to be made oval where the mount attaches to the trans

on top of that , only omni mounts (Lbody) fit in an L body

and again , in an omni that trans will need the very late (88?-89) model axles from an auto omni as the splines are diff

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As always thanks guys for the insight!

Any ideas on the vehicle to build?
I've had 3 Daytonas, 2 Shelby Chargers, and 2 Omni turbos and am
Really stuck on a Lancer.

Ideas? Performance tips? What do you think?
I am going to build a DD that is over built.

Come on and get the creative juices flowing!

Mopar to ya!

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
Go for the Lancer.

As far as performance tips it depends on what you want? If you want to keep it a VNT then there isn't much you can do to it. You really want to optimize the intake side from the air filter to the intake. That way the little VNT doesn't have to work as hard to get the intake filled with boost. It'll help it live longer and make boost quicker and make more power on the top end as well.

Now if/when I decide to get Lancer and get rid of my New Yorker as a daily driver it'll be getting a big 2.5 8v S60 turbo and a 523 3.50 geared trans. Tuned for power and MPG. Had that setup in my daytona and it was loads of fun and at 34MPG around town got me through the last time gas was $4.00+ a gallon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, now this is feedback I need!
Is the s-60 turbo the same as a 60 trim
Turbo I have heard the turbo mustwang guys
Talking about? And should I start with a 2.5 common block
Or forge the 2.2?
I have a 2.5 from a shadow I could use, either way I'm going to build a strong
Bottom end.
Reason I ask about the turbo is a friend has one(60 trim?) for cheep that is good. I'd love this car (whatever it turns out to be) to get into the mid 13's and drive with ease.
I think the factory brakes and suspension will suffice for what I want to do.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
91 trailing axle - will not fit the older body
when this part was changed I'm not sure yet - but the distance from center of wheel to where it mounts is diff and it ends up putting the wheel in the wrong spot
Thats true across multiple body styles. You can tell just by looking at the axles. The part the brakes bolt to is at a 90* angle from the trailing arms on the older ones, and it is laid back a little from that on the newer ones. It may also coincide with the change from round to oval bushings in the trailing arms.

Im building a VNT motor for a 1984 new yorker executive sedan (mini limo) using a much larger compressor side adapted to it. The turbo will be very similar in size to a gt2871 with a variable turbine on it.

A vnt lancer would be cool. You CAN put the 60 trim or s60 wheel on the VNT turbo. a t3 60 trim and s60 wheel are slightly different, but pretty damn close overall. Functionally identical until you're trying to get the last 10% out of them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ok, good to know. The doner is an 89 VNT.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats true across multiple body styles. You can tell just by looking at the axles. The part the brakes bolt to is at a 90* angle from the trailing arms on the older ones, and it is laid back a little from that on the newer ones. It may also coincide with the change from round to oval bushings in the trailing arms.

Im building a VNT motor for a 1984 new yorker executive sedan (mini limo) using a much larger compressor side adapted to it. The turbo will be very similar in size to a gt2871 with a variable turbine on it.

A vnt lancer would be cool. You CAN put the 60 trim or s60 wheel on the VNT turbo. a t3 60 trim and s60 wheel are slightly different, but pretty damn close overall. Functionally identical until you're trying to get the last 10% out of them.
So a S-60 is the same as a 60 "trim" turbo?
He had this turbo on a 347 stroked 93 302 (5.0)

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
one of the guys on here is in the 13s with a Shadow and the VNT. I wouldn't mod the engine, leave it all basically stock but in an L body. Then add the fwdperformance.com 3 bar computer and +20s to it and a better intercooler.

If you do a S60, buy the whole turbo and go 12s. No reason to get the bigger turbo to restrict it. The VNT is going to be a lot of work, electrical and vac lines. If you want a turbo keep the engine and change the exhaust manifold and add a s60 T3

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
So a S-60 is the same as a 60 "trim" turbo?
He had this turbo on a 347 stroked 93 302 (5.0)
In that case, no, it wouldnt be the same.

Here's the thing. a 'trim' number just describes a relationship between a compressor wheel's exducer diameter and its inducer diameter. Usually, in a 'family' of compressor wheels, the exducer is the same across the range and the inducer is what changes. For the Garrett t3 family of wheels (which the s60 belongs to), the exducer is 60mm on all of them.

But, ANY compressor wheel can be a '60 trim'. Trim is just a ratio between the two diameters.

In the case of the turbo on the ford motor, it's PROBABLY a T4 family turbo. A 60 trim t4 wheel is completely different than a 60 trim t3 wheel. It may not even be a t4, it could be something else entirely, but context clues tell me a turbo on a built ~5.7L motor is NOT in the t3 family and is NOT going to spool on a 2.2L.

Turbo identification and sizing is pretty irritating because of the goofy terms and the fact that most people dont really know how to describe what they're using or selling. If you want help deciding whether any turbos you find are suitable, you can PM me about it and ill try to help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Turbo identification and sizing is pretty irritating because of the goofy terms and the fact that most people dont really know how to describe what they're using or selling. *If you want help deciding whether any turbos you find are suitable, you can PM me about it and ill try to help.

Thanks so much for the great insight!
If I have Q's I'll PM you, thanks Vigo!

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
well there are little T25 turbo garrets like the VNT
T3 family above that
T04B next
T04E
then on to the T04E size ported housing BB GTK

on and on. It helps if you have a photo and a inducer size for people online to have an idea

1 - 20 of 42 Posts