Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install my DO stage one kit on my 87' T1.
The only baseline for what kind of gains from cooling I'll get is what I'd get with an air-to -air unit.

Car is an 87' T1 Log draw-through, K&N filter, 2.5" exhaust no-cat, runs perfect, low miles.

I know that water injection will be more efficient than an 87' T2 intercooler, as it cools below ambient and there will be no pressure drop.

What would I see Hp/lb.ft. just by intercooling the car with a stock T2 cooler?

I know lot's of people have converted near stock T1's to T2's what kind of gains did they see?

Or if really brave, what kind of gains do you think you'd get on the above set-up with a 250psi pump on a 1gph nozzle triggered at 2psi?

And yes I realize the W/I isn't a power adder, but the cool intake charge will be considerably more dense than what I'm getting now, which translates to more power up to a point.

Any guesses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a '89 LeBaron, 2.5 T1, to which I added WI. I was helped by an inventor/machinist. Quite by accident, we got the correct atomizer the first time around. Instead of a pump, we tapped into the boost air at the intake manifold, using a air siphon to get the water out of the atomizer. He welded in a nipple, attached line, with a one-way valve. The water bottle was mounted well below the atomizer. It does add power. No Idea how much. However, my friend says the WI adds 15 octane to the fuel used. So I am able to run regular in my turbo car. You don't really need the extra octane for part-throttle cruising, only when under load. He estimated that it would use 1-3 tablespoons of water per gallon of gas used. This coincided with my observations. There is the slightest lag while the boost air starts the water siphon, but, you can feel the advance go up once the WI starts working.

Did you ever get yours figured out?

MikeyM

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Mikey, do you have the specs on the atomizer that you used?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sounds very promising, and where in va?
I'm out of Richmond, but i try to get out each month to the beach..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't have the specs. This was an R&D that I did with the developer. After we did this, we found no other interest in the area. But, I'll check with him to see if he has any other examples. We did this about 2 years ago, and it has worked very well.

In answer to the other guy's question, the boost air blows across the water feed line, creating a vacuum, and draws water out of the reservoir. There is a check valve in the feed line, so that there is no long wait for the water to come up.

·
Premium Member
9,045 Posts
I know lot's of people have converted near stock T1's to T2's what kind of gains did they see?
PM me yur email , I'll send yu a couple article pdf's discussing intercooling the early log-TI

the factory TII was rated at 174Hp compared to 146Hp for the log-TI;

part of this 28Hp gain is due to the better flowing intake manifold,
part is due to the boost 9->12 psi,
part is due to the intercooling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts