Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 Lebaron coupe T1, with a manual tranny. I'm wondering what transmission i have in it. I know it's not the A-568, as the reverse is on the left.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
which tranny? did not ask his name? :p
There should be a tag on it on top of the belhousing. My guess is a 520.

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'll look when i get a chance. Problem is, i work untill 6, which by that point the sun is long down. So thursday i'll look at that. Now a new question.

"which tranny? did not ask his name? "
What? lol

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
^^is :confused:

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. can you make some sence out of that for me? lol I'm not making the connection

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
please?

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and how strong of a tranny is the 520?

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow. thats sucks. but good to know. thanks.

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, i just looked at it. couldn't see the number, but i did find that my breather filter blew off. I guess the ghetto fix of electrical tape and a one of those screw tighten ring thingys didn't work. I'll look when i get off. I may have to remove the airbox tray. But i wanna know!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
That is a pretty rare car if its stock, not many came with a 5spd. the 520 A came in most smaller non turbo cars (exept they switched to the 523 in the later years)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey,
I had a T1 LeBaron with a 5-speed and I know it was rare! Mine had the 520. The 520 is better than the 525 but not as good as the 555. Here is some info that I lifted from thedodgegarage.

The 520 Manual Transmission 1987-1989

The first real improvement in Chrysler transaxles happened in 1987. The differential has always been a weak spot on the 460/465/525 and a redesign was done using a new CAD process to speed development time up. The new transmission was quieter and much more rugged. A new cast housing replaced the stamped steel cover for the differential and a redesigned ring gear with larger bearings helped vanquish ring gear deflection.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
i had a 91 spirit ES turbo 5spd (1-318) i think theres a couple people on here that have them but i havent seen one in real life exept for the one i had. i even had the Window sticker

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah i'm aware that it's pretty rare. Especially a coupe. I was surprised to find one. I was just wondering if it would be able to handle more horsepower. What are they rated at? horsepower wise?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
i think its 150 hp. im pretty sure thats to the flywheel so if you figure in drivetrain loss its probobly making like 120 to the wheels. that is if your engines got good compression and working correctly

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool. Didn't really answer the question. but i guess i asked it wrong. I meant how much horsepower could a 520 take without failure? Sorry. I should have worded it better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What is the 5spd in a T1 2.5l 1992 Lebaron. The donor engine i am putting in my van is comming from this car. Its a convertible 5spd lebaron..my guess is this is very rare as well.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
well it all depends on how much power you want to throw at it.... my omni had a A520 in it the hole time i drove it.. and i put the trans in my mini van.. lol and it took a lot of 5 grand dumps with slicks..... so if your as lucky as i was alot lol......but probly about 300 or so..

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
What is the 5spd in a T1 2.5l 1992 Lebaron. The donor engine i am putting in my van is comming from this car. Its a convertible 5spd lebaron..my guess is this is very rare as well.
Only 250 92 gtcs were made of those! Too bad you can't save it.
It is a a568 the strongest tranny large spline. (besides the masi)

Oh Budda- google "tranny"

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only 250 92 gtcs were made of those! Too bad you can't save it.
It is a a568 the strongest tranny large spline. (besides the masi)

Oh Budda- google "tranny"
Wow thats a rare car :thumb:

And, no thanks man. 01neonsnoozer pulled that one on clayton. in the csx thread i think. I didn't google it then, and i ain't doin it now lol. although, morbid curiosity will eventually make me look it up lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts