Turbo Dodge Forums banner

What Transmission to use in Tubo Mini

578 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  22dodge 
#1 ·
ok I've got a 89 turbo mini.
I plan on stripping it bare bones for a little stoplight fun.
and blowing the doors off a Certian Neon with a huge ricer wing.
and a few hondas with fart cans at the Track
just wondering should I stick with the Automatic it has for quicker 1/4's
or swap to a 523? I think the stick would be alot more fun to drive with
although I'm not sure how it would affect my 1/4 times.
as the standard wouldn't be robbing power to run pumps but it takes longer to shift and more times of backing off to shift on the way down the track.
the 523 I'm thinking of using has the 3.85 FD
I have no need to go 150mph
just quick 0-60's and a decent 1/4 time.
just wondering what your thoughts are on this?
I tried searching the forums but couldn't quite find an answer to what I was looking for using a heavy minivan. and besides I keep getting way off track when I do searches, next thing I know I'm reading about a mini with 2000+ pennies glued to the side of it. thanks for any input

See less See more
#5 ·
I run an auto in my van and get 82mph in the 1/8th mile, plenty fast for some stoplight racing, I would say run whatever you like driving better. I like driving a stick better but being stuck in rush hour traffic every day I have come to like the auto.

#8 ·
aRTie
nice van, nice site.
nothing like smoking a mustang GT in a minivan, lol
I'm thinking I might stick with the automatic in my van, I'll swap my 86 laser over to the 523 trans, for having fun with a standard.
and dropping a 5-speed in the van later, depending if I can talk my friend out of his 94 shadow with a 568 that he smoked the clutch on :)
just didn't know if a van in the 14's on the 1/4 would be quicker with a automatic or a standard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.