Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to rebuild my motor in my '88 shelby z. right now it is pretty much stock. I was looking to try and get somewhere around 300 to 350hp and was wondering what it would take to get there. I still want to run on pump gas though. If you could help me out I would appreciate it. thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wanna do the same thing with mine...
I would think the simple (so speaking) Bigger everything :p
bigger cam/crank..
Bigger injectors...crap like that. Bigger Turbo for sure. :)
I'd like to do this without boring anything out :p
FWDPerf has a lot of this kind of stuff.

Were you thinking Nitrous? Alky? or just straight motor?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think that the main mods for that kind of power are a bigger turbo (t3/t4 hybrid), headwork, and an aftermarket cal. You would also need the supporting mods for the above +40 injectors, 3-bar map, better intercooler, good flowing exhaust from manifold back.

You can get all of that from turbos unleashed or fwdperformance.com. Check around on this forum for head work, cals. and deals on parts as well.

- Bill

·
Registered
751 Posts
Im putting together parts for 300whp. Mods list so far includes the following:

1. +40 injectors
2. 255lph fuel pump
3. 3"swingvalve and back exhaust
4. stage 4 cal at 25psi
5. EGT and A/F Ratio gauges
6. FMIC & Hardpipe
7. 3 BAR MAP

This should easily get you close to if not 300wheel WITHOUT dumping money on a turbo. Talk to Cindy at FWD Performance, she can give you more specifics on what you need to get there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can buy a .63 exhaust housing for the stock t2 turbo from fwd performace. This isn't nearly as good as a bigger turbo but does help alot.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Given a GOOD condition engine...

In addition to what scorpion1 listed...
Headgasket
Headbolts
New fuel injection rubber hose
New cap, rotor, and plugs
New wires
Polybushing engine mounts
Clutch
LSD and bearing plate
Good tires
Bigger than stock turbo
Good radiator

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
It all depends. Do you want daily driver 300-350 hp or a once in a while drag car? Is this something reliable or just something to toy with? You can make hp by simply raising the boost (not the best way, but you can do it that way). Common block is a good idea as well as a lot of the other items above. You have to figure out a budget and go from there. Otherwise you will get 50 opinions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It all depends. Do you want daily driver 300-350 hp or a once in a while drag car? Is this something reliable or just something to toy with? You can make hp by simply raising the boost (not the best way, but you can do it that way). Common block is a good idea as well as a lot of the other items above. You have to figure out a budget and go from there. Otherwise you will get 50 opinions.
Yes,I am on your side :drinking:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here is another good question.

Is it better to build up a 2.2 or a 2.5 for all around performance and hp?

Reducing the car weight will also help in the real application of the hp also to add to tryingbe. Power to weight ratio thing.

I am picking up a 88 daytona shelby z this weekend and plan to get a few dyno pulls done in the next weeks to see what it is like now - defienately not stock set-up but not balls to the wall either. Heck the dyno shop is 5 minutes away so I might as well utilize it. $75 for 2 pulls and some tweaks I think is pretty good.

Do not hear much on running nitrous on these things either. I have a nice zex kit that I might experiment with and see.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
dont mean to hijack, whats the difference between the common block and non-common block? why is it better to have a common block?
Common block is later and supposedly stronger.It doesn't have a fuel pump boss on it is the way to recognize a CB.It may be debatable when comparing to T2 blocks. Was called a common block because it was used for both 2.2and 2.5 engines.the first 2.5s used a taller block and different pistons(rods?) which IMO is a better setup.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
I like the non-common blocks, just my preferrence. Would I try pushing 350WHP out of one? Damn right:D I'd even see if a Fel-Pro head gasket would work with that ammount of HP/TQ(Never hurts to learn:)).
but it doesn hurt the wallet lol :bash:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts