Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like title says I can get a daytona next to nothing and can't find anywhere to figuar out my question?The lady had it forever and can't figuar out what year it is (she lost title)plus shes old and don't want to mess with the car.All she can remember is that it has a 2.5l and an auto

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The 10th digit of the vin is the digit for year.
A=80 B=81 C=82 D=83 E=84 F=85 G=86 H=87 J=88 K=89 L=90 M=91 N=92 P=93 R=94 S=95 T=96 V=97 W=98 X=99 Y=00 1=01 2=02 3=03 4=04 5=05 6=06 7=07 8=08.

They skipped a few letters along the way but am 99 percent sure I have it accurate. Knowing these can make it easy to look at a car and know what year it is.

You also had engine ID issues the 8th digit is the engine digit. There is no set pattern for these.

While on the subject the first digit is for what country it was built. I don't know all the codes but the ones you will see on these cars is 1=USA 2=CANADA 3=MEXICO Z=ITALY. One one will not see on these cars is J=JAPAN They do have some new US codes I think 4 and 5 but I am not sure what they mean I think they are foreign cars built here but again I'm not sure.

Second digit is car company B=DODGE C=CHRYSLER P=PLYMOUTH

Tim

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Like title says I can get a daytona next to nothing and can't find anywhere to figuar out my question?The lady had it forever and can't figuar out what year it is (she lost title)plus shes old and don't want to mess with the car.All she can remember is that it has a 2.5l and an auto
I FIGURE that 1986 would be the first year a Daytona came with a 2.5 since that is the year the 2.5 was introduced into the market. The first year you could get a 2.5 in a minivan was 1988. For some reason Chrysler kept using the 2.6 mitsubishi engine until 1987 only in the vans. the quit using the 2.6 in 1985 in cars.

·
Registered
314 Posts
couldn't you just open the hood and look up at the emissions sticker, that would tell you the year and the engine size?
another way I've found of figuring out years of my junkyard finds are by the taillight/Marker light lenses. they always have a 2 digit year on them so I know the car can't be any older than the year on the lenses

·
Registered
314 Posts
maybe I'm just used to dealing with some of the single digit IQ people here in alaska. lol
Had no less than half a dozen people I'm dealing with having no Idea what year or engine size they had in their Car. and having to tell them to look at the underhood sticker. wasn't hinting you weren't smart enough to know to look.
but even sometimes I've caught myself overlooking the simplest things like that.
so anyhow what did you come up with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts