Turbo Dodge Forums banner

better power adder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what makes more sense? to make more power, nitrous or meth injection? both systems are about the same price. I just wanna get the most bang for the buck..tell me what ya think...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
nitrous obviously, but you need to use race gas with it so it adds to the cost

if you just want to run more boost w/ lower octane gas then Methanol

methanol is not a power adder, as higher octane gas makes less power w/o more compression and timing

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see. im trying to learn about this meth stuff. thats the first response that makes sense to me..

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Angelo on here used to have a GLH that ran 14s without Nitrous and 11.7 with Nitrous. It was a log T1 car to boot. There is no way a meth kit could ever compete. Both suck as both require you to fill a bottle. Building an engine for pump gas on the street and you have the power all the time, so for a street car both setups suck. But for a race car just go with nitrous, I believe Angelo removed the IC and saw no power loss with Nitrous. He is the man to ask, I don't think anyone has as much time with it on a TD than him.

Bug him for info ATaylorRacing

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
My old GLH Turbo ran 14 flat with no NOS and 11.8 at 118 with 150 hp shot.
I replaced the intercooler with a piece of exhaust pipe when I blew the side of it out with a nitrous sneeze (too low rpm usage) and the car slowed to a 15 flat with the same boost as before. The slightly rich NOS shot of 150 hp then m,ade the car in the 12.0 range! The cooling effect of being a bit rich on the bottle...being safe and not melting stuff.

I put 125 hp NOS on my 98 SOHC Neon and it ran 12.11 at 117 compared to high 14s.
I put 100 hp NOS on my 99 Miata MX5 and it ran 12.65 at 109 compared to 15.5s.
I am going to put a 85 hp shot on our Scion Xb and it should run 14.2s compared to the 16.8s it does now.

My set up is a twin fogger deal and can go from 25 hp up to a motor killing 300. I never had any car that had strong enough internals for that.....but a guy that races here at INDY put a simular 300 hp shot on his BUILT 383ci/350 hp 3000 lb Chevy Monza that had run 12 flat, kind of slow for a tubbed out car that is (was) street driven...the results were several passes in under 10 seconds.

JMatt on the SRT forums has a dailey driver SRT8 with a 275 hp 3 stage nitrous set up and has broken into the high 10s with his huge chunk of good looking metal!!!

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
there is a trick to running with boost because the Nitrous is fighting turbo pressure.

Except for the 86 and newer T1 cars with a 2.2 and light weight rods the TDs are very capable of running nitrous. Most lack Angelo's balls with how much though LMAO. But they can take a bunch. I think a popular unit is the big single fogger nozzle. Like with the 85 GLH, the log intake cars are restricted. Nitrous deals with this a ton because you don't need as much engine flow, little bit of boost and a big Nitrous hit.

I thought you sold the GLH Angelo?

·
Registered
353 Posts
there is a trick to running with boost because the Nitrous is fighting turbo pressure.

Except for the 86 and newer T1 cars with a 2.2 and light weight rods the TDs are very capable of running nitrous. Most lack Angelo's balls with how much though LMAO. But they can take a bunch. I think a popular unit is the big single fogger nozzle. Like with the 85 GLH, the log intake cars are restricted. Nitrous deals with this a ton because you don't need as much engine flow, little bit of boost and a big Nitrous hit.

I thought you sold the GLH Angelo?
Sold the GLH after a divorce...dang it. :bang head Sold the S60 90 Shadow that I had Kish build too.:bash: I was turboless forever until I got the 05 SRT4, but that SOHC Neon did not need a turbo to run 12.11 at 117, just NOS.:drinking: Since I can't afford NOS refills now I am going to stage 2 and some other mods to get the SRT into the 12s.;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
How much NOS can a stock engine take?
I was thinking that a long time ago the amount of hp our motors could take was the question, regardless of NOS or boost.....some high hp cars were hasving big destruction troubles at 300+ hp with stock internals with large rpm and it was an arguement on did the cranks break 1st or the blocks...I think Cliff Sebring said at a certain point the block would flex and then the crank would break. I never had that problem since I always short shifted when I used NOS. I blew up a rod on old Four Play, no nitrous ever, because I thought I was shifting at 6200 when in reality my AUTOGAUGE tach was reading under by around 1100 rpm!!!:mad:

Always buy AUTOMETER!

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Sold the GLH after a divorce...dang it. :bang head Sold the S60 90 Shadow that I had Kish build too.:bash: I was turboless forever until I got the 05 SRT4, but that SOHC Neon did not need a turbo to run 12.11 at 117, just NOS.:drinking: Since I can't afford NOS refills now I am going to stage 2 and some other mods to get the SRT into the 12s.;)
The stage 2 is not the answer to 12s, if 12s if high 12s are what you want. The stage 2 kills power running your engine too rich.

I have an old thread in the 2.4 section on the 2 I got running 12.7s. Both run big FMICs, a big item and short tires. Running a 10:1 AF and drowning the engine with fuel is how many stage 2 cars go slower than stage 1 cars.

My brothers car with slicks and a stock computer and boost control ran 12.7 @ 110 MPH, 1.89 60ft. 22 x 8 x 15" slicks

·
Registered
353 Posts
The stage 2 is not the answer to 12s, if 12s if high 12s are what you want. The stage 2 kills power running your engine too rich.

I have an old thread in the 2.4 section on the 2 I got running 12.7s. Both run big FMICs, a big item and short tires. Running a 10:1 AF and drowning the engine with fuel is how many stage 2 cars go slower than stage 1 cars.

My brothers car with slicks and a stock computer and boost control ran 12.7 @ 110 MPH, 1.89 60ft. 22 x 8 x 15" slicks
Stage two can (and will) be made to run leaner and it's a big plus to have a 3 atmosphere map sensor. As high as I saw my EGTs go to the other day while continuing to accelerate past 120 mph at 41 I DO WANT a bit richer than the 0 stage I have now.....I let off the gas at 120 mph (WAY past the finish line) when I saw the EGTs hit 1725!!!! My old carb car starts stuttering from being too lean at only 1400!

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Stage two can (and will) be made to run leaner and it's a big plus to have a 3 atmosphere map sensor. As high as I saw my EGTs go to the other day while continuing to accelerate past 120 mph at 41 I DO WANT a bit richer than the 0 stage I have now.....I let off the gas at 120 mph (WAY past the finish line) when I saw the EGTs hit 1725!!!! My old carb car starts stuttering from being too lean at only 1400!
got a stage 1 here that runs 270 WHP and 380 ft lbs at the tires and 13:2 AF flat as a board all the way up. No detonation. SRTs like 12:1 AF, and thats what I shoot for. The stage 2 drowns you to 10:0 or worse, which is not acceptable. True 02 pipe back 3" exhaust and a big FMIC helps a ton to lean them. I think a SRT with the mex maifold and a hybrid with a stage 2 is the way to go. But a lot more work, but you have a ton of room to go there with fuel

·
Registered
353 Posts
got a stage 1 here that runs 270 WHP and 380 ft lbs at the tires and 13:2 AF flat as a board all the way up. No detonation. SRTs like 12:1 AF, and thats what I shoot for. The stage 2 drowns you to 10:0 or worse, which is not acceptable. True 02 pipe back 3" exhaust and a big FMIC helps a ton to lean them. I think a SRT with the mex maifold and a hybrid with a stage 2 is the way to go. But a lot more work, but you have a ton of room to go there with fuel
Like I stated, there are ways of making a stage 2 leaner and meaner.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
AEM - Plug-N-Play Engine Management System

Yeah you can lean stage 2, what about one of these? Big power?

Making the SRT run lean is a PITA as they have a in tank pressure reg and no fuel return. Bought the divorced reg and an aftermarket regulator for my brothers car, a little too lean to get more fuel. Adjusting fuel is a joke with them. So he started down the bigger turbo path, mex manifold and S60 turbo. It is a far cry from just adding an Accufab to the fuel rail and turning it down or up. Whats your plan for fuel?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The guy doing my work used to work for Chrysler and now on his own. He knows his stuff mechanically and I only know what things might be wrong when things don't work right. He uses some method of bleeds. Several of his customers cars are in the 325+ hp range with stage 2, while I am only shooting for 300+. He has done a huge exhaust on the CSRT4 too and getting mega power from those already. He knows his stuff from years of Chrysler training and hands on work. He did a bit of work on my non-turbo based motored SOHC Neon that ran high 14s on regular unleaded and 12.11 at 117 on 125 hp shot of nitrous and STILL on regular unleaded gas!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts