Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
640 Posts
Anyone ever made there own? Here is a DIY kit that looks really nice. It is better than the innovate in one respect, it can graph rpm. You can also buy it preassembled. I might have to try it. Only $70 with display and $60 for Bosch sensor. Total = $130.

JAW

· Legendary Driver
11,047 Posts
Love my LC-1, I have it on 3 cars now. One is setup with an XD-16, the other has a G3 gauge and the last one I did this weekend just uses the laptop if I need to see actual a/f #'s. All 3 cars are using the narrowband output for their O2 signal.

The XD car picked up 8-10MPG on the freeway and 4-6 around town because I can tweak the NB output and the ECU to run safe boost and good fuel economy. Still pretty pleased considering the Bosch NB sensor it had before ran the car at a nice lean 15.2:1. Car is a 2.5 5spd with +40's and 3" 3120lbs.

The G3 car is running off the NB output but hasn't had the NB output tweaked at all. It's picked up .4MPG average mostly because the factory NTK sensor ran the car at 14.4:1 instead of 14.7:1 like the wideband does. I'm happy with the MPG increase so far since I cranked the boost to 17psi (up from 12) as soon as the wideband went in. Car is a 2.2 T2 Auto with 3" and FFV injectors and 3" exhaust.

The last car I just did yesterday. It's an 04 3.7 Liberty. BONE STOCK. Very dissapointed in the factory O2's and their calibration. If this is the way all new mopars run it's no wonder they get crappy mileage. The stock O2's are running the car at 14.1:1. Which is about an 8% or so drop in mpg. I don't have the LC-1 running the car yet because I wanted to get some baseline runs in yesterday. Soon as I can get another O2 plug, and some time for the thing to cool off under there I'm gonna wire in the LC-1 to run the car.

· Registered
901 Posts
I have a LM-1 from innovate. I think it's one of the best Wideband because you can datalog whit. Adding the RPM converter and you have a complete 44 min stand alone datalog system and you can review you AF on your laptop and fine tune your car. You can also put 4 more input like : TPS, Boost, knock......

Not the best looking unit ....

· Registered
4,874 Posts
Zeitronix. May be pricey, but I saw someone mention data logging. You can data log more stuff on a zeitronix then anyone else. Missing input in the screen below are TPS and a user input. It also has a narrow band simulator, so you can hook your stock computer up to it. And with the newer software, you can change the narrow band switching point to something higher than 14.7 and get better milage.
Text Line Font Electronics Technology

Not to mention, they keep coming up with new features like their alarms and trigger box that you can use to set different alarms for things like overboost, oil pressure, ect. and the triggers can be used for meth, shift light ect.
I am WAY happy with my zeitronix. Plus, when you do have a problem, the staff there is awesome and will get you taken care of quick!

· Registered
640 Posts
Scott S: I thought the tech edge website was confusing so I will probably stay away from that one. I need things to be simple for my simple mind.

GLHNSLH2: Great mpg results! I would be interested in putting in a wideband even if it were just for the mpg benefits.
Have you had any drivability issues running leaner?
Have you noticed any excess engine heat running leaner?
Sorry if I asked this before, but were you using a custom calibration to force the ECU to ignore the oxygen sensor during boost?
Was your jeep running richer than 14.7 because the NB 02 sensor wasn't reading accurately, or is that in the programming of the ECU?

bansheenut420: Here is a description of what JAW can datalog...
"JAW is Just Another Wideband reader, there is nothing special about it except the price. JAW features 2 programmable outputs, serial connection, 3 real-time datalogging channels; AFR, RPM, external voltage1,external voltage 2, and sensor temperature, uses the low cost Bosch LSU wideband sensor ($50-$70), Accuracy to 0.01 Lambda, firmware upgradeable, and Free-Air calibration."

· Legendary Driver
11,047 Posts
GLHNSLH2: Great mpg results! I would be interested in putting in a wideband even if it were just for the mpg benefits.
Have you had any drivability issues running leaner?
Have you noticed any excess engine heat running leaner?
Sorry if I asked this before, but were you using a custom calibration to force the ECU to ignore the oxygen sensor during boost?
Was your jeep running richer than 14.7 because the NB 02 sensor wasn't reading accurately, or is that in the programming of the ECU?
No zero driveability issues running at 16.0:1 to 16.3:1. No extra heat either. But the car has never had a issue with that even with the cummins i/c in front of the rad. Yes I am running a custom cal that ignores the O2 during boost.

The jeep well that's a different story. I couldn't get it to work. The stock 4 wire O2's are putting out 3.5-3.8v while running. Which is wideband territory. Didn't know you could have a 4 wire WBO2 and the sensors are a measly $25 at napa too. Pretty cheap for a wideband. Anyway just gave up after two days of messing with it. I need some more info on how they run before I try putting the wideband back on it. But it works great on 80's turbo mopars :)

· Registered
640 Posts
Thanks for the info, GLHNSLHT2. Great to hear about your success with your older Dodges. I was thinking of doing this on my 2000 Dodge caravan to save fuel. Only problem is that it is a Flex Fuel vehicle. I'm not sure what it's doing to determine the alcohol/gasoline ratio. I think it just uses the O2 sensor, but if that's the case it might be a wideband already.
Let us know what you find out about your Liberty. $25 for a wideband seems way too cheap. My single wire, narrowband O2 sensor cost more than that for my Saturn.

· Registered
640 Posts
I was so impressed with the mpg results that GLHNSLHT2 got that I ordered a JAW wideband controller and wideband O2 sensor yesterday. I bought the DIY JAW for $45, the digital display for $25, the WB sensor for $51, and the weatherproof connector for $16. Grand total of $137. Hopefully the DIY portion of this kit won't be too hard. Updates sure to come in the future.

· Legendary Driver
11,047 Posts
Innovate has a simulated NB output to if you want to have it run the car, it's even adjustable so you can tune for better MPG. But you have to be able to richen the car up under load so you don't melt a pistion.

· Registered
675 Posts
For the JAW you have to buy the 02 sensor and the wiring/connector seperately.

I got the sensor on amazon.com and the wiring/connector from a VW dealership in WA (online). Prices were about what was stated.

Assembly was pretty simple. I then bought some security wiring 4 wires and speaker wiring 2 more wires to make an extended cable to the 02 wiring.

I also mounted the connectors on the back side of the JAW and display so I can flush mount it .

-Rich

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.