Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof? Are they the same thing? Are they different? On my window sticker, I have a sunroof, and on the DC websire its a moonroof...Just curious.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In reality..yes there is a difference.A sunroof is usually referred to as a roof mounted window that has only one mode of operation.....that being that it opens upward and is hinged at the front.In effect making it a vent that lets the sun in.A moonroof also has the ability to fully retract into the roof lining giving a true open air experience only outdone by a convertible.

InfernoRed

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I always thought the difference was that a moonroof was glass and adds the sliding sunshield cover. The operation of the 2 are the same. The sunroof on my Capri is like the moonroof on my PT, both tilt up at the back for venting and open or retracted into the roof for the open air experience. But the Capri's sunroof is made of metal, so no star gazing thru the glass on a cold winter night.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I thought it had to do, if you were looking at the sun....or looking at the moon.... :}

j/k....my thoughts concur with Sci-Fi, the sunroof being metal and the moonroof being glass with sliding cover. :)

I've HEARD over the years that Ford was responsible for the "moonroof", but don't quote me on that. 8*

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The PT is the first car I've had with either but I'd always thought that a sunroof retracts and a moonroof didn't.

I've seen several cars in the past that had the glass panel that could not be opened at all and they were all called moonroofs.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
What is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?

Sunroof is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. Moonroof is a term created by Ford in the 70's, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

Source: www.sunroofs.org

Here's another thread, in another forum regarding the same question...

http://pub108.ezboard.com/fhyundaisantafemessageboardfrm87.showMessage?topicID=666.topic

Hope this helped!!

Kat

·
Registered
477 Posts
KatsKruizin said:
What is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof?

Sunroof is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. Moonroof is a term created by Ford in the 70's, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

Source: www.sunroofs.org

Here's another thread, in another forum regarding the same question...

http://pub108.ezboard.com/fhyundaisantafemessageboardfrm87.showMessage?topicID=666.topic

Hope this helped!!

Kat
That seems to clear it all up. Thank's Kat!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Whew ..........What a relief :)

I started to analyze and fret over the various definitions & terminology in these posts 8*

Then; after the "senior moment" passed ?:|

I realized I have a "Solid" PT roof :}

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sci-Fi said:
I always thought the difference was that a moonroof was glass and adds the sliding sunshield cover. The operation of the 2 are the same. The sunroof on my Capri is like the moonroof on my PT, both tilt up at the back for venting and open or retracted into the roof for the open air experience. But the Capri's sunroof is made of metal, so no star gazing thru the glass on a cold winter night.
I think you're right about this. I also think the same as well. Moonroof has the sliding cover and sunroof doesn't. The difference between night & day is that cover! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts