Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i wanna fire up the brand new build but wanted to know what everyone else does for prelube, for example priming the oil pump. Can u put oil in the sump, and (with distributer off and timing belt off) turn the intermediate shaft with a drill til oil gets to the head?

Thnx, Mark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did u prime til u hit the "I think thats good" point or did u eventually get oil to the cam?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I always just use the dist. gear at the belt to prime the motor. Just fill the crankcase(4.5 qts) then put a air drill or electric drill(not an impact!) You will feel an instant change in resistance once the oil pump starts pumping oil. I would suggest getting an oil pressrure gauge and installing it. The cam is going to have oil to it within 15 to 20 seconds. A cheap oil gauge can be bought at autozone. Just buy a mechanical gauge for a car, they give you all the fittings you'll need to hook it up! :)
james

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I have an adapter to go from a dill to a socket so I primed it before I did the timing.
i leave off the belt and use an air wrench or ratchet to spin the intermidiate shaft. within 15 sec, oil is flowing thru the head. I leave off the valve cover to verify nice oil flow from the cam/lash adjusters. if I have a complete engine with belt on, I use a pressurized oil priming system. this is a pressure tank that holds 3 qts of oil. I screw an adapter into the oil sender passage then turn on the tank. (this is how I have to prime quad 4's, 3.3's, 3.5's and 2.7's)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts