Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point soon I'm going to have to replace the clutch in the GLHS.
I have an NOS Fichtel & Sachs clutch and pressure plate, an NOS throw-out bearing and NOS flywheel but...
I'm thinking of keeping them and going with an aftermarket setup that would be long lasting and have stock pedal pressure.
The only HP/Torque increases will be from the MP Stage 2 Logic Module, and I don't know the exact figures on those.
The car won't be drag raced or in any competition, so it doesn't need to be a race setup.
Just long term reliability and stock pedal feel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had good luck with CenterForce. They do offer the CenterForce I pressure plate (for stock or mild modded cars) which should be able to be used with any quality disc (including theirs) with a bit more holding power.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a CenterForce clutch once and didn't like it.
It had a very heavy pedal feel.
But it could have been installed improperly.
I had it installed at a Chrysler dealership and a few years later they screwed up my emissions routing in my GLHS.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
I have an NOS Fichtel & Sachs clutch and pressure plate, an NOS throw-out bearing and NOS flywheel but...

as far as stock type clutches you won't find better IF that clutch you already have is pre '89

cryco switched to non asbestos discs in 89..
cryco also had a service bulletin regarding those clutches saying replace at no cost if failure soon after vehicle purchase .. because the non asbestos clutch discs were crap
- as were the aftermarket replacements .. in the day (might have been even worse actually)

I've saved a few used asbestos discs just for replacements over the years because of ^

I have no idea what the current discs are like from the vendors but I need to find out as I need a large spline disc myself and they never made those with an asbestos disc..

I would check the part number on your nos disc .. if it turns out to be the old asbestos one .. use it... have your existing flywheel resurfaced .. it's not expensive and maybe sell the nos flywheel for parts funding of something else

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

as far as stock type clutches you won't find better IF that clutch you already have is pre '89

cryco switched to non asbestos discs in 89..
cryco also had a service bulletin regarding those clutches saying replace at no cost if failure soon after vehicle purchase .. because the non asbestos clutch discs were crap
- as were the aftermarket replacements .. in the day (might have been even worse actually)

I've saved a few used asbestos discs just for replacements over the years because of ^

I have no idea what the current discs are like from the vendors but I need to find out as I need a large spline disc myself and they never made those with an asbestos disc..

I would check the part number on your nos disc .. if it turns out to be the old asbestos one .. use it... have your existing flywheel resurfaced .. it's not expensive and maybe sell the nos flywheel for parts funding of something else
I never knew that about the switch.
I bought the parts sometime between 1996 and 2002.
I Do know that the part numbers match those in the (published in 1987) parts book I have.
I'll have to check the part #'s and see.

That might also explain why I didn't like the CenterForce clutch from the late 1990's.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
.."organic disc.." , the moniker given to the o-e style non asbestos discs.. memory works better in the daytime
lol..
a couple I tried in the 90's , "dime store auto parts type" .. those were about as usefull as a bag of wet leaves raked up off the lawn ...

locally I have a spot where the speed limit goes from 60 kph to 80 kph .. trying to keep up with other traffic, driving normally .. the clutch would slip helplessly if I didn't baby it JUST RIGHT .. .. often I actually had to coast to the shoulder and wait for it to cool down

and that went together with a resurfaced flywheel and a "nice" known good pressure plate

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
re part numbers
part numbers change for two reasons
there may be a change made to the part

more likely there's been a change made to the price list..

looking up the newest number gives you the newest price , from the current updated price listing..
as that new part number doesn't occur on the older pricing lists

so if your part number doesn't show up in the 88-90 listings .. you probably have the clutch for "up to" and including 87

1 - 8 of 8 Posts