Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased one on eBay, but the spline count is more than what the steering column calls for.
I tried ordering two different ones from Detroit Axle to give me options for power steering, since these parts are near impossible to find. Unfortunately, they're expanding their business and don't seem to have the parts they claim they have.
Is there any place in Central Florida that rebuilds these?

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
223 Posts
Rock auto has seals and stuff but they are also out of racks. If it’s a manual rack what’s broken on it that makes you want a replacement?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had the same problem getting one with the correct spline count. Mine had the plastic bushing on the passenger side crumble. I found a bronze bushing that was real close and installed that to fix the old one. I think I had to make a little sleeve to "adapt" to the rack housing. It's been a while. It worked real well for several thousand miles. Car is down due to a bad piston but will be going again at some point.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Flaming River has a line of joints but you need to know spline count.

Manual and PS racks do have different joints.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
178 Posts
I rep
Flaming River has a line of joints but you need to know spline count.

Manual and PS racks do have different joints.

Thanks
Randy
I had to replace the R&P on my Daytona Z twice and it's still not right. Replacing a Z R&P was a nightmare because I tried following shop manual directions. Second time I knew the tricks and not as bad. First R&P was a Rock Auto that didn't feel right while it was still on blocks. It failed immediately. I called several manufactures requested their failure rates and most wouldn't or couldn't say. ATSCO guy talked to me like he knew me and claimed the industry average in-warranty failure was around 26% while theirs was the best at only 12%. This doesn't bode well for us. ATSCO worked for about 3,000 miles then the bottom worm drive seal started leaking. Just out of warranty but warranty's don't matter because of all the labor involved plus alignment. Doing it over I'd gladly pay Flaming River their high price to get a quality part. Next, I'd try to find someone local that does rebuilds. FYI: Beware auto parts stores. More than one employee said most seals & bearings come from Asia, many don't have a country of origin stamped on them, and fail quickly. Because they can't afford come-backs several local mechanics refuse to work on a vehicle unless they can buy an OEM part from the car dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts