Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put some RN11YC's in my 89 mini. I had some AC delco plugs in that had the electrodes rounded. When I put in the new plugs, the timing went from 12 degrees to 14. The engine seemed a little more peppy at 14 degrees. I changed back to 12 degrees to compare, and I think 14 is
better. What degree is everyone setting their timing to??

Thanks
Vaughn

·
Registered
620 Posts
12^ here.
A little more timing is better, as long as you don't run into detonation.

You unplugged the coolant temp sensor when you timed it, right?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cybermrc said:
12^ here.
A little more timing is better, as long as you don't run into detonation.

You unplugged the coolant temp sensor when you timed it, right?
Yes, I unplugged it...
Do I risk detonation by setting it at 14^??

·
Registered
922 Posts
My New Yorker likes 10* when it's only me in it. The topend suffers bigtime as you increase it, but with 3 passengers/tools it's kinda weak for regular driving at 10*.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I am running stock boost and 93 octane, for now... ;)
I will set it at 14, and see how it works out...
Would that cause me to loose some top end??

Vaughn

·
Registered
922 Posts
Probably not as much as on my TI log car. It doesn't have much for top end anyways. I can really feel the difference in high RPM's from 10 to 14 degrees, it pulls a lot better at 10.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
vsman77 said:
Thanks, I am running stock boost and 93 octane, for now... ;)
I will set it at 14, and see how it works out...
Would that cause me to loose some top end??

Vaughn
No, I bumped it and got my best 1/4 time, :thumb:

But """"" disclaimer, may or may not work on your particular application""""""
If you do bump up your timing, make sure to monitor knock with a scanner. If you don't have one, don't mess with the timing, 2.5's crack pistons very easily!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
turbovanman said:

If you do bump up your timing, make sure to monitor knock with a scanner. If you don't have one, don't mess with the timing, 2.5's crack pistons very easily!!!!!!!!
Okay, I'll leave it at 12...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I know some of the fast, fast guys retard their timing WAY down when running high boost, like 4-8 degrees. That does frightening things to the EGT, but they seem to be able to sort it out with fuel somehow. I don't have the huevos for that yet! I can manage to melt pistons at near stock boost levels:p

·
Registered
581 Posts
turbovanman said:

Are there any economical scanners that one can look into? I need a scanner to sort out my hybrid but every one I can find is like $450+ If I could find something in the $100~200 range I'd jump on it.

Knowing that the computer is not able to open the AIS all the way or that the knock sensor is reading crazy is invaluable information.

Mike

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
89DodgeSpirit said:
Are there any economical scanners that one can look into? I need a scanner to sort out my hybrid but every one I can find is like $450+ If I could find something in the $100~200 range I'd jump on it.

Knowing that the computer is not able to open the AIS all the way or that the knock sensor is reading crazy is invaluable information.

Mike

Look on E-bay, Gasketmaster has found them going for that price, see if I can the thread!

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86563

·
Registered
581 Posts
"UP FOR AUCTION OTC 4000E MONITOR DIAGNOSTIC/TEST KIT. 1993 MODEL. tHIS IS NOT A COMPLETE KIT, BUT DOES CONTAIN THE 4000E MODULE WITH CORDS, THERE ARE THE FOLLOWING MODULE INSERTS: DOMESTIC PATHFINDER III '94 OTC, DOMESTIC PATHFINDER '79-'92 GM,FORD,CHRYSLER, 1993 ASIAN IMPORTS, 1993 DOMESTIC PATHFINDER II '93 OTC. sOME NAMES OF OTHER ITEMS INSIDE HARDSHELL CASE ARE:CONNECTOR CABLES FOR FORD, FORD II(USE WITH '93 OR NEWER PATHFINDER SOFTWARE, GM TPI, CHRYSLER, GM. HONDA/ACURA CODE JUMPER OTC P/N 3305-68, GEO/SUZUKI ADAPTER OTC P/N 3305-69(FOR USE W/ UNIV A CABLE OTC P/N 213487) AND ANOTHER CABLE WITH A SMALL CYLINDER AT ONE END AND BATTERY CLIPS AT THE OTHER. THERE IS NO MANUAL FOR THE UNIT ITSELF, BUT THERE IS AN UPDATE MANUAL, ORDER BLANK AND A BOOK FOR AN aUTO X-RAY UNIT. aLL FORM OTC DIVISION SPX CORP., OWATONNA, MN. WHAT IS IN CASE IS IN GOOD CONDITION."

That is the auction description - does that have what I need to scan my 87 LeBaron?

Mike

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will this scanner help me to tune the engine perfectly? And what about a scanner from Pepboys?

Vaughn

·
Registered
953 Posts
the scanner won,t fix anything like me at work it,s just a TOOL, but you can read the things you need to make sure you got fuel/spark knock/O/2 air fuel mix. coolant temp / codes/ it,s a must have for me . my 02 ALS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts