Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a factory style boost gauge / Dashboard Information Center combination. I have an 88 2.2 Turbo I LeBaron.

The gauge has a small fitting for a rubber line - where on the engine or turbo does the other end plug in to?

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Anywhere good lol they usually somewhere now right beside a vital device (map,fpr) just ad a teeinto one of you vacuum likes thogh

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
connect it to the intake between the throttle body and the head. Hook it up to the vac block to the map sensor if you like

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmm. OK, I'll try some of those suggestions. I just never thought that connecting to a vacuum line would show boost pressure. That's why I was thinking it connected to the turbo somewhere.

I have to admit that I am the "turbo new guy"!

Thanks for the replies!

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
The "vac" lines see anything the intake sees so if the intake sees boost pressure (anything above atmospheric pressure) so will the lines. This is why you can't/shouldn't use just regular parts store rubber vac lines. They flex too much and will send a crappy "signal" to the things that are telling your car how to run. Nylon or Polyurethane only. You can get spools of both from here:

Pneumatic Components Products

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
small lines are 5/32 (4mm) and big lines are 1/4". These #'s are only if you're buying nylon or poly lines on the page above.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
small lines are 5/32 (4mm) and big lines are 1/4". These #'s are only if you're buying nylon or poly lines on the page above.
and 100' of line at a time lol

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
And for $30 for a roll of both sizes you have vacuum line for life. That's not a bad deal at all I don't think.
maybe you should get a group buy going. There are about thousand people here with bad vac lines, well a few thousand anyway counting non members too lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh my goodness! This thread has certainly taken on a life of its own.

Once again I learn more - any old vacuum line isn't good enough. Probably explains why the vacuum gauges that I used to put in my cars bounced around so much - the flex in length of the cheepo line must have been like a balloon. I always wondered about that.

I'll check the local NAPA store to see what they have.

Thanks for the info.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
On my 88 Lebaron the vac lines running from the vapor canister to the throttle body is 7/32" and has a red orifice inline.

If memory serves it was The Pope that told me to tap into the MAP sensor vacuum line for your vacuum gauge that way you will see what the SMEC see's

Dennis

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
i/d diameter? the 5/32 line fits into the factory rubber ends perfect.

NEVER tap into the MAP line. You want the MAP and the FPR to see the cleanest/clearest signal from the intake possible. What's more important? Seeing what the MAP is seeing or having the ECU know exactly how much air is in the intake?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, gee. Apparently, I was looking for something right under my nose, literally!

Where to connect the boost gauge? Found a forum topic named "Vacuum Diagram" and it shows right where to go. It mentioned looking under the hood. Went out, opened the hood and low and behold there is the same diagram with a hose labeled - "To pressure gauge" - line right from the manifold, as suggested.

Thanks for the vacuum hose discussion, though. Great advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts