Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where would i buy a code reader for our cars? i looked on e-bay and theres alot about "OBD 2" readers that read vehicles 96 and up? what about an 89?
where do i get one? will this "OBD 2" work?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Also if your just looking for codes the computer will return that info with check engine light flashes. Just turn the key on-off-on-off-on. Cound the two digit flashes and go to http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html for a description.

If your looking for something to read sensors then the OTC scanners are the way to go. They plug into the diagnostic plug under the hood and can display things like knock, boost, timing, O2, ect... There are a few programs out there to display this information out on a graph for tuning also. For that you need the 4000 unit. There is also someone out there writing code to interface a palm with our cars, I can't remeber off hand who it was but if you search for PALM here or on TM you'll probably find it.

Benji

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you just want to read codes you can do the key trick. 3 times on off quick then count the flashes of the CE light. The flashes are in groups of two for a two digit number.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Auto parts store have an adaptor to use obd 2 but will fit on your scanner, cost 40 bux as for a specified scanner can run a couple hundred, you will need the obd 2 scanner too but cheap ones are cheap like a hundred bux mine paid for itself is labor and towing fees several time

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scott_s said:
If you just want to read codes you can do the key trick. 3 times on off quick then count the flashes of the CE light. The flashes are in groups of two for a two digit number.
what? explain more!

·
Registered
945 Posts
turbo minivan said:
where would i buy a code reader for our cars? i looked on e-bay and theres alot about "OBD 2" readers that read vehicles 96 and up? what about an 89?
where do i get one? will this "OBD 2" work?
It sounds like you need an OBD-I scantool for your 89. My AutoXray Scantool does both OBD-I and OBD-II when configured with the Make and 8th symbol in the vehicles VIN. If you just need codes than use the key dance proceedure mentioned. If you need realtime/capture sensor readings and CEL shutoff capability than a scanner is your best bet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
shelby1.5turbo said:
Auto parts store have an adaptor to use obd 2 but will fit on your scanner, cost 40 bux as for a specified scanner can run a couple hundred, you will need the obd 2 scanner too but cheap ones are cheap like a hundred bux mine paid for itself is labor and towing fees several time
With this adaptor, i can connect -91 chrysler to an OBD-2 reader? Where can i get one of those? :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
You could do a search for miller tolls on ebay. They make the factory tools for chrysler. I got one of the factory scanners fairly cheap but no instructions. So it's learn as you go for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts