Turbo Dodge Forums banner

wheres all the VNT Daytona's at

42K views 238 replies 76 participants last post by  turbokid 
G
#1 ·
just wondering how many VNT's are out there,preferably the Daytona's,i know there was 536 made so where are they :thumb:

#9 ·
Original owner, 90 daytona shelby VNT. Black/Black. It came from factory with dark blue floor mats... I went back when they preped the car for me and that is what it had. Oil pan is bad at moment, cracked it going down county road...

Bought new at Northwest Dodge in metro Detroit, Jan 1990. Only spent a few months there before coming home to Arkansas.

Thx-Ace

#15 ·
Not the original owner naj, but I have a white shelby vnt also.

White with maroon leather interior stock, but I swapped it out to black leather from a donor '91 iroc/shelby. Kept the 90 specific parts though like the center console and radio bezel. (Replaced the center console carpet with black from board members here)

Complete rebuild last fall by Todd Nelson (4-Lbodies) of the engine with new pistons, brand new vnt turbo, balance shafts removed, porting, etc. Also replaced the gas tank and straps with new ones, new fuel lines and brake lines, and went through all electrical including re-soldering all of the connections in the instrument panel. (Thanks for the tip naj).

Haven't run it yet, still waiting for a few parts but it should be back together in a month or so.

#16 ·
My White w/ red leather VNT is in Columbus, Ohio It is my daily driver (summer only, I buy a beater winter car then sell it in the spring and get the Daytona back out) I bought mine from Kansas Missouri, It had been a Florida car before that after it was finally released to the public. I'm not the original owner Chrysler Corporation was. Not in the way that you would think, The first "ownership" was Chrysler Motors sales fleet and was used as a marketing and public relations vehicle and has some unique data tag codes for Special Scheduling, Company car tracking, Marketing / Public Relations. It was built very close to NAJ's VNT on may 29 1989 (By the Way a big thank you to NAJ for deciphering the data tag on my car, THANK YOU again) i have a ball with it. What a great daily driver. It sure beats the boring Pontiac grand prix i used to run around in everyday.
Here is a link to a You tube vid. I was having some fun chasing my friends CSP prepared Miata. It was a closed area of the lot at Columbus Motor Speedway after the Autocross we just ran, There is also a video of my Autocross run just search "VNT Daytona" on you tube here is one of the vids.

YouTube - Drifting the Shelby Daytona, one of only 540 built VNT 1990 Daytonas having fun at the track.

#22 ·
On your vin number the 3 firrst digit from the last 5 digit
There is a site i do not have it in mind now but i will send it back to u tonight where they explain how to read shelby vin number, make, year of production, plant .... mine is vin number 1c3 bg7 4c6 lg4 549 51

#23 ·
I have all of that info since I bought the car new and still have the shipping label.
If you are correct then my car is #358.
When we were a dealer(before Chryslers bankruptcy) I ran a vin inquiry on my vehicle and the build date was 9/25/89.
It is the last 7 digits of the vin that nobody seems to be able to decipher.

#27 ·
VIN Decoding
Only options available for the Daytona and Laser are listed to save space. Sorry, I don't have info on 91 -94 models, but I am guessing much of it is the same. Note that for convenience some engine codes may be listed even though the engines were not used in a given year. Some unnecessary codes are shown below ... since all Daytonas were made in the same place.
1. Country of Origin (1. US; 2. Canada; 3. Mexico; 4. Japan)
2. Make (B-Dodge ; C-Chrysler ; P-Plymouth)
3. Type is always 3, Passenger Car
4. Safety System is always B (manual seat belts) until 1989, when they added:
X- Driver Airbag
Y- Driver Airbag, Passenger Automatic Belt
C- Automatic Belt
A- Airbag
5. Model — AV is Daytona, AC is Laser until 1989, when AG for Daytona takes over.
6. Series: 1 is Economy, 2 is Low, 4 is High, 5 is Premium, 6 is Special/Sport, 7 is Performance Image
7. Body Style is always 4, or two-door hatchback
8. Engine: C is 2.2 carb; D is 2.2 EFI; E is 2.2 turbo; K is 2.5; 3 is 3-liter V6.
9. Check is a number or X and is just a checksum.
10. Model Year: E is 1984, F is 1985, etc... L 1990...
#11: Assembly plant
#12-17 uniquely identify your particular vehicle.

G
#31 ·
what info are you lookin for,the book doesnt give everything about them.there is a updated version of the book but its not out yet.i will be picking it up when it is.i dont think there was much on the VNT's

#32 ·
I also heard 536 were the # produced but have never been able to verify this.
I also heard the total # of VNT's produced including Daytona, Lebaron, Shadow and 89 CSX were just over 900.
I was given the # for the Chrysler Archives about 10 years ago by a Chrysler Regional Rep and they said they had no info on 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby production #'s.

#33 ·
My understanding of the VIN is that the last few numbers are the production serial...IE, what order your car was built. A vin with 54941 (for example) would be the 54,941st car built on that production line. I could be wrong though, but that's how most VIN's I've run across were done.

#35 ·
Thats the thing, nobody knows what the last 6 digits are.
When you entered a VIN into dealer connect you only needed the last 8 and it knew the entire car.
For the parts catalog it was the last 9 to get the same result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.