Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want a little more power than stock and maybe have it a little lopey? I'm gonna be running all stock equipment on my 1989 turbo 2.5. what would you all recommend? duration? lift? thanks in advance :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just want a little more power than stock and maybe have it a little lopey? I'm gonna be running all stock equipment on my 1989 turbo 2.5. what would you all recommend? duration? lift? thanks in advance :thumb:
Don't waste your money on an aftermarket cam. If you are looking for a little more power then stock find yourself an 88 TBI cam. It's the best "stock" cam out there for these cars and will give you exactly what you are looking for. Cheap too ;)

Russ

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
He did note that he has an '89 2.5 so it's going to be tricky finding an '88 2.5 TBI. I have always wondered if the 2.5 tall block cam provides the same upgrade as the regular TBI cam does for the 2.2.

I suppose he could just use a 2.2 cam and adjust it. What's the offset? 4 degrees?

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
you want the 2.2 TBI cam. Doesn't matter if he's using a 2.5. I wouldn't run anything bigger than that with your stock intake, exhaust manny, and turbo. Those and the i/c are choking the motor off enough that an aftermarket cam is going to do nothing for you.

·
Registered
922 Posts
ALL STOCK on an 89 T1 and you want more power with a cam? Sorry, but not happening. Forget the cam. You need a free flowing exhaust(2.5" or better), intercooler(even a stock bolt in TII setup is better than nothing), and swap that mitsu for a Garrett turbo. Then you'll want a calibration to maximize your potential, and whatever cam is already in there will be fine. At 15psi with that stuff you won't even recognize your car. Then it's time to start dreaming big...

·
Registered
922 Posts
All stock 85 T1 with MP 460 lift turbo cam = good increase in power , big one when loaded up on a hill , -- really big one

should still work with 7-8 pound mitsy deal
Log car, sure it makes a difference. But with a blow through car even the least mechanically minded person can toss an intercooler on it first. Why neuter yourself if the methods are already so well documented? 2.5 mitsu cars suffer from poor engineering which can easily be remedied prior to any major undertakings. When I bought my Lebaron my Hyundai Elantra would run it over in any gear at any speed! Now with a Spirit R/T i/c setup, 2.5" FWD exhaust and a rebuilt Garrett that I did myself it's a much different story. Stick with the basics first:thumb:

·
Registered
922 Posts
key words "rebuilt garret" ^^

ya never tried to make a mitsy fast(er)
I actually ran it with the Spirit i/c and 2.5" exhaust for a short time, but changed out the turbo when I had to do the valve seals. It was still fairly impressive with the mitsu at stockish boost levels. Spooled incredibly fast and it wasn't boost creeping at all(which goes against common wisdom). But the O2 sensor was TOAST and I couldn't break it loose in the car so I prepped a Garrett to swap in it's place. I do like it better in any event. Boost comes on more predictably and it pulls harder through the RPM's. But I stand by the statement that I would do an intercooler/exhaust before even considering anything else on a 2.5 T1 car. What else can be done to cut 2-3 seconds off of the 1/4 mile time realistically?

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
you want the 2.2 TBI cam. Doesn't matter if he's using a 2.5. I wouldn't run anything bigger than that with your stock intake, exhaust manny, and turbo. Those and the i/c are choking the motor off enough that an aftermarket cam is going to do nothing for you.
So what's different about the 2 cams then? Just the sprocket? Because a stock 2.5 cam in a 2.2 engine makes it run like a dog at stock timing as does the reverse. Been there and tried that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts