Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '88 LeBaron, T-1, auto that I traded for over a year ago. It had been sitting for 3-4 years but only had about 8k on a NAPA reman engine. It has never run right since I've owned it. It's hard starting, cold or hot. You have to crank it over several times before it will start UNLESS you crank it a couple of rounds, turn the key off and back on, then it fires almost immediately. What happens is the fuel pump relay doesn't immediately click when you first crank it. When it clicks it starts. When I first got it I replaced the plugs, cap, and plug wires. Also a new fuel filter. This was before I had driven it enough to realize it wasn't really starting and running right. It actually used to start pretty good cold, just not when hot, but now doesn't start good either way. When I actually started driving it and noticed the starting problem I had a new fuel pump installed (the original wouldn't hold pressure when you turned the key off). It didn't really help the starting problem though. It also seemed rich so I put in a new oxygen sensor. It still doesn't get good mileage. I also changed the coolant temp sensor. It has never had any codes. Also when it's cold it idles really slow and dies unless you keep your foot on the gas for awhile. Idles pretty good when warm.
I have an identical parts car. I decided to switch the computers to see if that would help. The one originally in my car is #R5233242. The one out of the other car is #R5235283. Is either one the right one for my car? I never drove the parts car due to a knock so I don't know how well it runs but putting the computer out of it into my car didn't really seem to make a difference in the way it starts. It does seem to run a little better down the road but that may be my imagination, just hoping something I've done will make a difference.
Any help with any of these issues would be appreciated.
TIA,
Dallas
missourimopar.com
BTW, I've put about 2k on it since I've owned it. Also I just installed the other computer tonite so I don't yet know how it will run on a cold start.
I also have a temp gauge fluctuation issue I may put into another post but I don't think it's getting hot.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
the temp guage fluctuation is normal. Have you changed the fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention I had put a new t-stat in the car when I first got it. I bought it from O'reillys. It didn't seem like it was warming up enough in the winter so I bought a new one from Mopar. The gauge goes really high now when it fluctuates. Seems to move more than the cars I used to drive did. It also seems to fluctuate more in cold weather.
I had someone else work on the car a couple of times. I think they checked the relay but I'm not sure they replaced it. It's the square one isn't it?
Thanks,
Dallas
missourimopar.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts