Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was digging around on car domain and i found a guy who supercharged his GLH, i was thinking that looked like a pretty good idea, i know the advantages and disadvantages of a supercharger over a turbo and if its worth the time and money id rather throw a supercharger on, it's just more of a muscle thing...

dont get my wrong i love to hear a turbo spool up and i love to sound of a bov but money is key and a turbo isnt in my budget, a supercharger may not be either but im willing to try it... i just want this car to be a little bit quicker, maybe run 15's yet i know if i rebuild it right and turbo it i could run 12's but maybe later after my budget is better...

so would it be cheaper? could i pretty much bolt it on? or would i have to tear down the engine? and rebuild it to handle the "boost" like if i were to do a turbo? if so ill wait and do the turbo...

i found this that looks quite appealing, well except for the price, but it still might be cheaper than turboing the car...

eBay Motors: Small Roots Supercharger - Geo Metro Mini-Cooper VW-Bug (item 200208458264 end time Mar-23-08 18:16:32 PDT)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Owning both a supercharged car (Cobalt SS) and a turbo car (Daytona) I can tell you that there are a lot of similarities... and quite a few differences. In most cases turbo > super... but not always.

As far as building the engine goes... boost is boost no matter how you make it. You need an engine that will stand up to the increased pressures and temperatures that boost makes... you will also need proper fuel and intercooling.

Turboing a NA car is typically seen as easier b/c all you have to do is route the piping and find a place to mount the turbo and IC.

Supercharging a car is different. You have to find a bracket or plate to mount the blower on... get a belt that is the right size... make sure everything turns in the proper direction... and then try to get clearance from the firewall and hood.

As far as power differences go... it's a trade-off... supercharged cars don't have "turbo lag" and don't fall off on the top end like a turbo can. However a SC creates "parasitic loss" I.E. it takes power to make power. Turning that SC pulley draws a certain amount of HP from the engine. Sure... you are making it up with the boost... but a loss is a loss. Turbos don't actually take any power... they use your exhaust flow... which was just being wasted before.

Unless you are running some kind of massive snail your turbo lag isn't going to be much at all. I believe most of us on here are seeing boost by 2000RPM... so the lag isn't really noticable.

I could go on... but I think you get the idea. If you have specific questions... post up or PM me.

Honestly... if I had a NA car and it were up to me... turbo all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Cheapest = Turbo, by a large factor

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, thanks guys

id really rather have the turbo i just thought that the sc might be easier and different, i guess not so it looks like my NA will be TIII when the money comes around :D

i know the turbo lag on my old civic seemed terrible it spooled up at about 3500, but it wasnt so bad because then vtec kicked at 5500 and boy was that fun lol

im hoping for 12's in this little horizon, im going for the ultimate sleeper :p

ive really started looking into the colbalt ss, i saw them running 13's at the strip and i was shocked, i dont know if it was stock but it was still pretty fast. i kinda chuckled though when i saw it was an ecotec, i never knew and ecotec could do that lol my dad and i plan on scing our 2004 malibu, just for that little extra umph, nothing big though just 5-7 psi for kicks and giggles really.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well maybe easier on my wallet, and i have a place where the supercharger would fit right in under the hood of my horizon, thats why i thought itd be easier i didnt really think it through, i just saw it and figured id ask lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
ive really started looking into the colbalt ss, i saw them running 13's at the strip and i was shocked, i dont know if it was stock but it was still pretty fast. i kinda chuckled though when i saw it was an ecotec, i never knew and ecotec could do that lol

Mid 14's is stock with a decent driver. There have been a few stock 14.0 or 13.9 runs... some of these cars are factory freaks. The little "ecotec" is suprising a lot of people on a daily basis. Overall they still don't get much respect.

I ran [email protected] with only GM Stage 2 (15psi) and a 2.25" cat-back. I feel that's pretty respectable. Some of the guys I run with are going to be hitting mid-low 13's this track season. Meth injection... a little NOS... and a lot of boost.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im on the hunt for a parts car now :D

and RaineMan that sounds pretty good i wouldnt mind getting my hands on one, maybe for my first new car purchase... sounds like they're fun... ive driven many cars, this horizon seems like it will be the most fun of the projects and all the cars ive driven

·
Registered
112 Posts
im on the hunt for a parts car now :D

and RaineMan that sounds pretty good i wouldnt mind getting my hands on one, maybe for my first new car purchase... sounds like they're fun... ive driven many cars, this horizon seems like it will be the most fun of the projects and all the cars ive driven
If you are serious about looking for a SS... mine is for sale.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool when i get the money and parts car i plan on fully building this motor, hybrid tIII and all i want the max hp i can get out of it, im coming off of a boosted civic pulling 379whp on pump gas at 19psi so its gonna take alot to impress me :p but i think i can do it

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
cool when i get the money and parts car i plan on fully building this motor, hybrid tIII and all i want the max hp i can get out of it, im coming off of a boosted civic pulling 379whp on pump gas at 19psi so its gonna take alot to impress me :p but i think i can do it
it wont take much, believe me:nodding:

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
+1 to that. Civic may have the horses but I feel it takes too long to feel it. I like my torquey 2.5 that spools at 2000 rpm :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts