Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend found one of the hard to find four spoke steering wheels from a daytona and was nice enough to sell it to me. (Thanks Dave) After modifying the center hub and the plastic skirt, I am not sure if I like it in the car. Side by side to a stoke Omni wheel, the four spoke looks much better, but once it was on the car, I am not sure I like it. Top is the new wheel, bottom is the original. What do you guys think?

Attachments

· Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i never did like the stock wheel,i dont think the spoke one looks bad....but your interior looks saweeeeeeeeeet!....
Yeah, I am not so sure about the stock wheel. One thing I did find out is that they L-bodies are the only TD that dont have a colapsable steering column, so the steering wheels were design to be thin and weak so if you bashed your head on it in a wreck, the steering wheel would bend instead of your skull. :)

· Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the oppinions guys. Once I find an L-body speed cable I will have to pull the wheel off to get the gauge cluster out of there to install the new cable, so by then I will have to figure out which wheel I like the best.

· Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
like the daytona wheel better. I have one in my tona in black. But yes the seam in the leather wrap need to go at the bottom :)
Well, I either have the wheels turned a little bit (its still on jack stands) or L-body steering columns are different. The teeth on the shaft in the steering column only allow the wheel to be installed in one possition.

· We'll do it live!
7,617 Posts
Dude definitely the new wheel. What year/trim daytonas did those come in??

· Registered
7 Posts
1983 solid spoke, 1984 open spoke, and maybe some 1985 cars,and some later 80's ram's and ramcharger's. Steering column was changed so steering wheel works on car column. Oh by the way they are both cool, I think.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
My '84 Ramcharger has that style wheel but with black leather rim & center cap-Original equiptment. You don't have to pull the wheel to remove cluster.
Remove lower dash trim under column and there's four bolts holding column to dash. Remove those and column will tilt down allowing wheel to rest on seat.

· Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My '84 Ramcharger has that style wheel but with black leather rim & center cap-Original equiptment. You don't have to pull the wheel to remove cluster.
Remove lower dash trim under column and there's four bolts holding column to dash. Remove those and column will tilt down allowing wheel to rest on seat.
Yeah, but it makes it a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.