Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pondering the idea of putting a muffler on my 1989 daytona 2.2 turbo that makes it a little louder. I was wondering what you all used? I dont want flowmaster(everyone and their brother has flowmasters) I want it louder than stock but not obnoxious (I have my straight piped 1973 charger for that:)) lol what should I get? I want it to have a deep tone. Any videos of your cars? thanks.

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
Walker Dynomax makes a direct fit cat back setup that is 2 1/4" but is not much louder than stock, just a slight little rumble.

There is video of my car on YouTube.
Mopars at Atco, Me and My Son and our FWD Mopars.

·
Banned
3 Posts
glasspack and cherry bomb are great
No they suck and sound nasty. If you want a rumble your going to have to go at least 2.5" cat back, with a straight through type muffler like the walker or dynomax.
I run a full 3" turbo back, no muffler. In the car it sounds great but not too loud. Outside on low rpm and idle it sounds good and mellow, step on the gas and it sounds obnoxious like a Harley wot.

Here's my videos from in the car with the 3" no muffler but on a 16 valve.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And 1 more in the day time, back roading. Click below.
http://static.photobucket.com/playe...bucket.com/albums/d10/jkp9900/shooting002.flv

·
Registered
538 Posts
No they suck and sound nasty. If you want a rumble your going to have to go at least 2.5" cat back, with a straight through type muffler like the walker or dynomax.
I run a full 3" turbo back, no muffler. In the car it sounds great but not too loud. Outside on low rpm and idle it sounds good and mellow, step on the gas and it sounds obnoxious like a Harley wot.

Here's my videos from in the car with the 3" no muffler but on a 16 valve.
+100.

Don't put a fart can on it. Glass packs sound like Sh!t. Avoid chambered mufflers, and any muffler that says TURBO on it.

3" straight pipe sounds best by far, and isn't loud at all when just cruising.

·
Registered
312 Posts
no muffler, just maybe a nice 2.5'' exhaust. That's pretty much the only way you'll that combo of deep bass at idle, and a bit of spool at throttle. Magnaflows do sound nice though, from the ones I've heard on 2.2 tonas.

·
Registered
496 Posts
+100.

Don't put a fart can on it. Glass packs sound like Sh!t. Avoid chambered mufflers, and any muffler that says TURBO on it.

3" straight pipe sounds best by far, and isn't loud at all when just cruising.
Wow, I guess to each his own. Although I put glasspacks (2, one at the former cats location, one where the muff belongs) on the SC and it gave a deep unobtrusive tone.

But to each his own.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think an actual glass pack is a fart can. I think a fart can is a fart can! I'm using a 30"X 2.5" on my 2.5 turbo. Its 2.5" all the way and I put the glass pack from the down pipe to the first 90 degree bend. It sounds way better that any rice burning with a fart can. When I get on it Its not to obnoxious and a lot of people ask what kind of v8 I put in it. Well... only the stupid ones.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
Magnaflow FTW. I was a big 3" straight pipe guy for a long time. One car had a side exit and the other was out the back. Got pulled over in the out the back car, that sucked even though I didn't get a ticket. Took the side exit car to SoCal and cruising around at 1am through some old stomping grounds realized how loud the car was outside. Also was racing through some old familiar hills and had 3-4 Orange County Sherriffs after me because you could hear me over 5 miles away. Thankfully I was leaving the hills with the car idling downhill at 1500rpms when the cop I did pass drove by. He went about 200ft and started to turn around realizing it was probably me that was making the noise. Thankfully he couldn't just whip it around and had to make a 3-4 point turn out of it. I rolled on the throttle, made a left turn and went 2 blocks to my dads and in the driveway that you can't see from the street :)

Only the out the back 3" car has a magnaflow right now but the side exit car is getting one. I can't believe how nice and deep tone it is but it's also quiet. No loss in performance as it's straight through 3" too. And at $72 from T U there's no reason not to run one. FWDP has the same muffler in 2.5" and I just installed their 2.5" cat back with the Magnaflow on a friends Lebaron GTC this summer. Sounds great, it has a little more bang than the 3" setup but isn't loud and still has a deep tone.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you have to leave the cat on, then a no muffler, 2 1/2 or 3inch exhaust is the way to go. Not sure why some people don't like the glasspack style muffler, it's definately straight through! I run 2 1/2(3inch on higher hp cars) exhaust all the way to the back with no cat and a 18 inch long glasspack style muffler in about the middle of the car. It's hard for me to spend $70 on just a muffler when I just had the above mentioned exhaust done on both of my Omnis for $120 each.

·
Administrator
25,644 Posts
If you have to leave the cat on, then a no muffler, 2 1/2 or 3inch exhaust is the way to go. Not sure why some people don't like the glasspack style muffler
I can tell you one reason why I would not like it, noise restriction laws.
My Son has 2 1/2" exhaust and a Flowmaster on his 3.0L Sundance Duster and has been ticketed twice for noise.
He went to court and fought the first one and he went as far as to get a decibal meter and found that a new stock Corvette and Dodge Ram were louder from the factory and the judge told him...
"There are no laws in N.J. regarding decibal level, it is purely up to the discretion of the police officer if he/she feels your vehicle is excessivly noisy".
Now when he see's a police car he is off the throttle coasting by.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can tell you one reason why I would not like it, noise restriction laws.
My Son has 2 1/2" exhaust and a Flowmaster on his 3.0L Sundance Duster and has been ticketed twice for noise.
He went to court and fought the first one and he went as far as to get a decibal meter and found that a new stock Corvette and Dodge Ram were louder from the factory and the judge told him...
"There are no laws in N.J. regarding decibal level, it is purely up to the discretion of the police officer if he/she feels your vehicle is excessivly noisy".
Now when he see's a police car he is off the throttle coasting by.
Turbos act as a muffler themselves.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts