Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 89' shelby daytona and he took it for a few runs for the first time the other day at the mopar nationals @ e-town. Since 5 speed 1/4 racing was new to him, he started with a first run of 18.1 and finally worked it down to a best of 16.8. His big problem was spinning tire too much out of first and bogging down while trying to get into second. So, he asked me to find out for him where to get a set of slicks for his car. he has a set of crab wheels; which i think are 15'; so i needed to know if anyone can help us out on finding a pair of slicks to fit those rims. We have no idea what size to look for.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just bought a new set of M&H 23x7.5x15 slicks and mounted them on my stock crab wheels. I'm not positive but I think the next size larger (24.5x8x15?) may have some interference problems. From what I've heard I think there are some spacers available to be able to use them on stock wheels, I do not personally recommend spacers for any application. That's up to you though.

It sounds to me like your friend may just need to work on launch technique quite a bit. If he can get it down to where there's little or no wheel spin by the end of first, then he'll be going into second at the best possible MPH to prevent bogging. How are his 60' times? I'd bet they're in the 2.8 range from the sounds of it. Tell him not to side step the clutch when the lights drop...he's getting to excited- rather get the R's up and when that last yellow's about to go out release the clutch easy like normal driving until the boost is starting to come up and he's rolling pretty good. I probably don't fully release my clutch for about 10 feet. Let the car work for him not the other way around. Once you get that down you can practice staging shallow so you can start to leave a hair earlier, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i read somewhere on here that 22x7x15(M/T) and 23x8x15 (M&H) were good but i wasn't sure if that was good for the crab wheels or not. i don't know much about those wheels.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Maybe he should be making more power before he tries to get slicks, at car that runs 15.6 with slicks looks retarded and they're hard to launch good with and hard on parts if you can't drive well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea guys, i know that car should b in the high 15's , but take it easy. it was his first day ever on the track. plus he hates beating on the car. so shifting it at 5,000 ever gear, was worryin him a little. especially since that was our ride home at the end of the day. don't wanna break something and b stranded

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i'd go with the 22's if he isnt planning on modding it alot. The car should dip into the 14's stock if his clutch can hold it.. hell i ran [email protected] with 13psi and exhaust. It took a while to learn to do that though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ya... those times aren't great but they are reasonable times for a stock car with crap tires and someone who is pussyfooting it behind the wheel. At this point though, it sounds like all he needs are a good soft set of street tires, deflate them down, and practice wrangling in the off the line spins a little and the time will go down...now if you don't want to let the car rev, or give quick shifts because you don't want to break anythin...well, then the number will never be what it should be, slicks or no. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
shelby pumpers

on my shelby, i've got 16" pumpers. can I run a 15" rim so I am able to run a decent set of slicks, and what type of rim will fit, or am I forced to run 16's because of the big brakes? Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
362 Posts
barracudabob said:
on my shelby, i've got 16" pumpers. can I run a 15" rim so I am able to run a decent set of slicks, and what type of rim will fit, or am I forced to run 16's because of the big brakes? Thanks, Bob
Yes. You have the same brakes that came on the competition CS cars and they came with 15 - 6.5 crabs. I have the same brakes and so does another local fellow here with an 89 shelby and we both run the 15-6.5 crabs with slicks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Slickaroos

I have a 93 R/T and I got a free set of 225 bfg comp t/a's that are for 15's. I grabbed some steel rims of a stratus in the junkyard but the inner sidewalls rubbed on the struts. Would I think they are either a 7 or 7.5 wide slick but they fit on whatever stock steel 15 inch rims are if anyone knows. So I'd just like to know if these would fit on some nice 15 inch shelby rims. (Why waste a free set of 130 a piece tires) (and I had 2.6 60ft's at the track with pepboys futuraras!!hahaha) :bash:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts