Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 c/s daytona five speed, 2.5, balance shafts removed, volvo intercooler, 2.5" exhaust, How quick will I go with a t3/t4 turbo? I have the mitsu on there now, 14.00 at cecil at 12 pounds, 2.35" short time. I'm just wondering-I know it's kind of big but with the five speed and the 2.5...This is the second motor going into Black Death as the first replacement (used) spun a rod bearing in less than three weeks.
Any thoughts Ken?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
LOL... Great time for 12 psi and the mitsu... Lose the volvo cooler. No where near good enough for a t3/4.

2.5's spool that t3/4 better than 2.2's so you should be o.k. Not enough info to tell anything else. Friend with a 2.5 and a basically stock head has taken a 3k lb car to 12.8's at 108 with a t3/4 stage II 50 trim.

·
Registered
760 Posts
glhsken said:
LOL... Great time for 12 psi and the mitsu... Lose the volvo cooler. No where near good enough for a t3/4.

2.5's spool that t3/4 better than 2.2's so you should be o.k. Not enough info to tell anything else. Friend with a 2.5 and a basically stock head has taken a 3k lb car to 12.8's at 108 with a t3/4 stage II 50 trim.
Whose car and at what boost level ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At Cecil it's sea level, nothing but the driver's seat inside, open exhaust on a cool nite. Ya, I know the Volvo is hideous and has to go. What about the stock srt-4 intercooler or a cummin's? Thanks for quick response.

·
Banned
2,837 Posts
My opinion would be that the srt-4 is more free flowing, but the cummin's is more cooler.... without back to back tests, it is just speculation.

Frank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not a whole lot

Lancer man, I guess everyone runs upgraded garrett II's but I'll be throwing the t3/t4 on within the next few weeks. Truth be told-I was running much more boost through the mitsubishi (my friends know I peruse this site, i'm helping one with a rb 25-Skyline into a 1991 M30-two door infinity, they don't need to know the truth but they know me enough) to run the 14.00's but the dam car still lacked that top end pull which is why I'm stepping up to the t3/t4. I do understand bigger is not better; but curiosity is killing me. I plan on putting in the bigger injectors, I already have the fifth injector and tune the boost via the air/fuel. I do know also the intercooler has to be upgraded. I will fill all in shortly. Oh ya, the turbo I have is only oil cooled/lubricated.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
2.2lanceres said:
ok i going to use ths post to ask the same type of question. i have a 88 daytona shelsy z. 2.2 t2 with open 3" exhaust. the turbo i'm looking at it a t3/t4 with i belive a .57trim any ideas
57 trim is way to big for the street.

You will be happy with a TO4E cover, 50 trim wheel, stage 2 turbine!

·
Registered
671 Posts
turbovanman said:

No it's not too big. I ran one on my Daytona both with a manual and auto trans. It was a 57 trim comp. - stage 3 .63 ar turbine. Had to use boost control to keep traction with drag radials. That is the turbo I went 8.22 @ 93 mph (1/8th) with, spinning through all of 1st gear. Now it was a little laggy with the 5 speed but no worse than the S70 turbo I had. With the auto and high stall converter there was hardly no lag at all.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Brian Putman said:
turbovanman said:

No it's not too big. I ran one on my Daytona both with a manual and auto trans. It was a 57 trim comp. - stage 3 .63 ar turbine. Had to use boost control to keep traction with drag radials. That is the turbo I went 8.22 @ 93 mph (1/8th) with, spinning through all of 1st gear. Now it was a little laggy with the 5 speed but no worse than the S70 turbo I had. With the auto and high stall converter there was hardly no lag at all.
I am running the 50 trim and its laggy. When I bought my turbo, was also told the 57 would be laggier!!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
turbovanman said:
I am running the 50 trim and its laggy. When I bought my turbo, was also told the 57 would be laggier!!!!
I guess alot of it is how one tunes the combo. Really though there is not much difference in flow between the 50 and 57 trim, only a few pounds at most. But the 50 trim is a little more efficient at the higher boost levels. All I know is with the auto I could build up 10 to 12 pounds of boost (all the brakes would hold) then let off the brakes and floor the throttle and all he11 would brake loose!! It would smoke the DR's until the car itself reached over 80 mph. That's why I used a multi staged boost control. I will be trying out a 50 trim stage 3 that I've had for over a year now on the Charger soon, after I see if I can get it in the 7's with a stock turbo,block,& head with pure street tires.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Brian Putman said:
I guess alot of it is how one tunes the combo. Really though there is not much difference in flow between the 50 and 57 trim, only a few pounds at most. But the 50 trim is a little more efficient at the higher boost levels. All I know is with the auto I could build up 10 to 12 pounds of boost (all the brakes would hold) then let off the brakes and floor the throttle and all he11 would brake loose!! It would smoke the DR's until the car itself reached over 80 mph. That's why I used a multi staged boost control. I will be trying out a 50 trim stage 3 that I've had for over a year now on the Charger soon, after I see if I can get it in the 7's with a stock turbo,block,& head with pure street tires.

Sounds like fun. I have to agree, when the boost hits, it hits and hard, :thumb:

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
2.2lanceres said:
one last question will the wastgate can just bolt right up to that or am i going to have to mod it

You might have to mod it, I used the TIII wastegate can and modded the mount and arm, it wouldn't bolt on, even using the Z bracket I bought.
You might not have to with a TI or TII can? You also need to mod the coolant lines as the compressor housing is soooooooo big, lol!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
2.2lanceres said:
its a t3/t4 57 trim stage 3 wheel .63 a/r the air inlet(air filter) is 3 inch and the air outlet (to intercooler) is 2 inch
does that sound about right
Are you sure you want to use a stage 3 wheel?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts