Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried switching from my crap Mitsu. to an 88' Garrett. It still is overboosting, I loostened my boost controller all the way before it falls off and it still does it! Very slowly but it does. My MBC is a $60 unit by the way.

I tried hooking up the vaccum lines like so: From the intake, I have a small vaccum line, then I have a larger line going over top of it going straight to the WG can (89' canister, so yeh know). The line coming off the turbo is plugged off with a screw. So I took out the MBC and tried letting my computer settle the boost. I have a Mopar Performance computer.

Need help ASAP, I want to race this thing Friday, family is coming down from Wi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,058 Posts
First, hook up the wastegate straight to the intake, go for a drive. If your around 5-7ish and its steady, then you have your MBC hooked up wrong or its no good. If it still spikes badly, the can is junk!

Make sure you have your MBC going the correct way, been there, done that. The best place for the signal is off the compressor housing, if not,a good vacuum source will work. Hook up the the MBC, then another hose to the can-no restrictor of any type needed. You should have total boost control!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I hooked up the wastegate striaght to the intake with no restrictors, and it went right to 14.7! :( The can worked before, about 2 years ago my dad had it on the mini van and it was fine, it only sat for about 2 years unused though.

But about my vac line from the intake to the can, would it matter that I have 2 different sized lines in the same line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It must be, I just tried running the lines from the turbo directly to the can...barely hits cut out. It hits cut out right before it shifts into 2nd, then it doesnt bc of cut out. :(

It took me and my Dad to get the arm on the wastegate when the turbo itself was off.

*EDIT* Winkle tells me my wastegate can needs to be flipped about 30 degrees...the nipple on mine is pointing straight down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,058 Posts
Dave said:
It must be, I just tried running the lines from the turbo directly to the can...barely hits cut out. It hits cut out right before it shifts into 2nd, then it doesnt bc of cut out. :(

It took me and my Dad to get the arm on the wastegate when the turbo itself was off.

*EDIT* Winkle tells me my wastegate can needs to be flipped about 30 degrees...the nipple on mine is pointing straight down.
Nipple postition won't make any difference. I have the funkiest arm angles you can imagine and it works perfectly. Last time, can is junk! just because you it has spring pressure doesn't mean the rubber diaghpram is good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
If it took two of you to pull wastegate arm out far enough to clip it on the wastegate lever, then you're arm is too short and needs to be lengthened. As the arm is nearly at its maximimum travel now and cannot move any farther to open the wastegate....

Make sure you can go down there and switch the wastegate lever at least past 1/2way with the arm still attached, sounds like you have it set too tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Dave said:
I loostened my boost controller all the way before it falls off and it still does it!
If it's a grainger type controller you're adjusting it the wrong direction: shorten it to lower boost :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no, thats how it was with the stock exhaust on the stock turbo, loosen to lose boost, tighten to gain boost.

Looks like Im buying a new can from TU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Sorry, I should have read all of the posts. I didn't know you were talking about the actuator. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait, could I use the wastegate can and arm from the mitsu. turbo? Will it fit up? It was too loose before, but we did shim it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
At least you're on the path to boost control again! :)

I need to fabricate me a new MBC. I have just the opposite problem... can't get the dang waste gate to stay closed. I'll take that over a blown head gasket any day though. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,947 Posts
Thats wierd i have the same kinda problem, boost controller unscrewed till last thread almost fallin out, doesnt over boost, but car is bone stock cept MP computer. Hooked the can up tp straight manifold and got like 5psi, unplugged, it flies to cutout, ill guess ill try runnin it to the solenoid and lettin the computer try tu run it. Or maybe get a 5th injector and use the boost! By the way my mitsu turbo has less than 1000k on it and was BRAND NEW from mopar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I considered using the boost, and just buying some +20% injectors, rising rate fuel regulator,and a 255 l/hr fuel pump...but that would put me in the viscinity of low 13's. 13.8's is plenty darn fast for me!

Plus the stock bottom end probally wouldnt like 22 psi. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
jdawg said:
Thats wierd i have the same kinda problem, boost controller unscrewed till last thread almost fallin out, doesnt over boost, but car is bone stock cept MP computer. Hooked the can up tp straight manifold and got like 5psi, unplugged, it flies to cutout, ill guess ill try runnin it to the solenoid and lettin the computer try tu run it. Or maybe get a 5th injector and use the boost! By the way my mitsu turbo has less than 1000k on it and was BRAND NEW from mopar.
+1

I'm going to fab myself up a home-made boost controller. Home Depot, here I come! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Dave said:
I considered using the boost, and just buying some +20% injectors, rising rate fuel regulator,and a 255 l/hr fuel pump...but that would put me in the viscinity of low 13's. 13.8's is plenty darn fast for me!

Plus the stock bottom end probally wouldnt like 22 psi. ;)
Or... invest in an alky system, for half the price, and at 15psi let the flood gates open! lol :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top