Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do the rocker arms in my 8v swirl roller head need to be kept in order when i take the head apart? what difference does it make? if i bought all new rocker arms they wouldnt be numbered, right?

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
<p>
They need to be kept in order if your re-using the same cam. If you are getting a brand new cam, go get new rockers too. Think of them like socks for your feet. If you go get new socks, they feel like new socks and you break them in after wearing and washing them. Now go borrow a pair of socks (clean ones) from your friend. They feel weird, huh? Now imagine how that must "feel" to the cam.<p>
If you are going down to a bare head, then you should keep each valve, spring, retainer, and keeper together in a little baggie and label it for what cyl it goes to. Of course, if you're getting the seats ground, you'll need the valves ground or new valves. <p>
This 'rule of thumb' applies to all engines.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Keeping the rockers with the cam lobe they were broken in on is only important for a slider cam. On the rollers it doesn't matter. The roller cam is harder and is a different type of contact so they don't have to break in.

-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Mix and match 'til the cows come home!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I try to keep things in order. It takes little additional effort and quite often, the 'ole boys that passed down these methods knew a thing or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts