Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car was running fine, haven't driven in probably a year, started it up a bunch of time just to keep everything lubed. Had to take it to get inspected, so I've been driving it ever since just to give it some exercise, figured I'd do a little tune up, look what I found....

I know the aftermarket coils don't offer much in terms of improved performance, but they do seem to be made with some better materials, you don't get that kind of corrosion with brass terminals.

·
Registered
324 Posts
amazing...that is an exception to the rule.

I have never in 20 years since I bought the car changed my coil. ( older full size coil )Wires, cap, rotor, plugs yes but never saw that happen. I also add that I have never bought any "specialty parts", always whatever I could get cheap ( Autolite/Standard/Echlin ).

the only hidden corrosion I ever had was on the injector harness when I noticed the car was hesitating with an intermittant "miss" and thought one of the injectors was failing because I had just replaced the other stuff. It had the green corrosion on the plug and terminals on #3. I replaced the harness, cleaned the injector terminals and still running that same injector 5 years later :D

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
your supposed to grease those ends though, water doesn't get in there that way. Also a cheap wire made of steel will rust and corode anything it touches. Not really an excuse but by the look of the cap and the rust on the aluminum contact I'd say the wire was the biggest problem.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to get it inspected so I've been driving it for about 2 weeks now, never did any work to it. Figured I might as well do a basic tune up on it so it got new plugs, wires, rotor, coil and the cap from one of the other cars after I washed it clean, was like new. Oh and I did grease all the towers on the cap and on the coil.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
don't grease all the towers lol, just the middle one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts