Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41 - 60 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll claim ignorance, is there a way you could switch out to a different PTU, or upgrade the current one to make it more resilient? I appologize, I'm still learning.

-Joe

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
i dont know about using another ptu because all the other similar drivetrains have the tranny on the opposite side of the engine bay.

I really dont know what the weaknesses are in the chrysler PTU.
I know that recently the 3000gt guys have had someone make both cast iron and billet aluminum transfer cases to help their breakage problems.

If it was a problem with the actual case breaking, I would almost think you could build a "tomb" around it of other materials to keep the case from breaking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could just adapt a transaxle/transfercase assembly from a DSM, as well as the driveshaft and rear axle setup. It'll hold the power, and it shouldn't be TOO terribly hard to do.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
it would be cool to somehow do like they did with the cossie..... longitudinal engine and tranny and awd...... dunno how you would do that though

·
Registered
196 Posts
I may be wrong, but isn't that how the AWD Magnum is set up. I'm pretty sure Audi, and possibly Astin Martin do their's that way. I agree, I think it'd be a cool set up. I guess if someone wanted to go that route it might be easier to go with a rear wheel conversion and grab a trans out of something like an old bronco and go 4x4. That could certainly take the power as frod had the 351 as an optional engine. I appologize if any of that information is incorrect.

-Joe

·
Registered
134 Posts
with regards to the original post about using a stock transaxle,someone had mentioned that as a possibility for me when i was considering using a 2.2 setup in my race jeep.and aside from the strength and load issues that have been pointed out another thing to consider in street use is this;the highest final drive ratio available in lets say,an A413,is something like 2.76? now if those axles go out to standard rears with tall gearing of 2.73 you still have a final ratio of 7.53...that might not have been a bad thing for my intended use,but for the street...?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
DannyTsi said:
You could just adapt a transaxle/transfercase assembly from a DSM, as well as the driveshaft and rear axle setup. It'll hold the power, and it shouldn't be TOO terribly hard to do.

Just my $.02
At that point I would just buy a DSM.

I think it would be fun to try to adapt chrysler stuff just to say "i did it"

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
advance adapters will make an adapter to mate most engine to any trans..... they charge upwards of $600 for a bellhousing though lol...... but hey it could work.... look them up and give them a call see what they can do.... me and some buddies had plans to build a kit car at one point and were gonna use a 2.5 chrysler turbo motor and a 6 speed mazda miata trannie..... they were gonna do a bellhousing to mate them together for us for $576......... surely they can help you out somehow

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I just thought of something interesting regarding this.

As we all know, all the comparable cars that are AWD seem to have the transmission on the passenger side of the car. This means the PTU would be pointing towards the front of the car. Fair enough.

What prevents us from mounting our engines 180 degrees from what they currently are and then adapting the rest of the DSM driveline? Maybe direction of engine rotation would be an issue? Some custom engine mounts, some creative coolant hose routing, hmmm

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate to throw gas on a fire but according to one of my favorite sites:

Wikipedia

The Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth use the 6G72 motor, as did the 1989-1994 Dodge Shadow ES. So....seems to me that you could take your V6 Shadow and swap out the stock tranny and swap *IN* the AWD tranny from your 3000GT/Stealth and your on your way! Right?!

Or any of the other 20+ listed vehicles that used the same motor! What fun!

·
Registered
74 Posts
well if honda guys can put crv drivetrains in integras, i'm pretty sure some innovative td guy could put a dsm drivetrain or some shit in their td. lot of good points here. btw the world engine will be the way to go (who can complain about 300 hp from the factory?) and yes there are so many definite options to use...but really the dsm drivetrain can handle power and works... wouldnt take much modification (minus bellhousing, driveshaft, etc...). I have a friend thats running 12's (not extremely fast) on a stock drivetrain no prob. take a 2nd gen drivetrain and put it in your dodge. I personally think it would work if you really want an awd dodge. ( i want a supercharged 360 rwd 87 daytona. rather make 700 hp and pop a wheelie for the same kind of bucks)

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
Ondonti said:
i would rather fit a v6 awd into a dsm then into a TD.....unless you could somehow be 600lb lighter using a TD chassis.[/QUO

Yeah the lightest a full interior AWD TD could be is ~2650#'s. That's not much different from a 1g talon.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
OmniGTI said:
Ondonti said:
i would rather fit a v6 awd into a dsm then into a TD.....unless you could somehow be 600lb lighter using a TD chassis.[/QUO

Yeah the lightest a full interior AWD TD could be is ~2650#'s. That's not much different from a 1g talon.
yup, therefore I dont see the point.

Plus you wont be legal for any race classes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Caravans were AWD and tthe parts are interchangable threw most of the mopar FWD family. Tranny is set up for an port for the rear drive set up. Also left and right sides of mopars are close to being the same dimesion wise so flipping a motor should work with some fabbing of course.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
shelby1.5turbo said:
Caravans were AWD and tthe parts are interchangable threw most of the mopar FWD family. Tranny is set up for an port for the rear drive set up. Also left and right sides of mopars are close to being the same dimesion wise so flipping a motor should work with some fabbing of course.
To me the only interesting awd project would be one that used dodge parts, Just making it work wouuld be reward enough for me. Doesnt need to hold huge power.

Im sure you could do things to beef it up.

41 - 60 of 212 Posts