Turbo Dodge Forums banner

61 - 80 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ondonti said:
To me the only interesting awd project would be one that used dodge parts, Just making it work wouuld be reward enough for me. Doesnt need to hold huge power.

Im sure you could do things to beef it up.
I think you missed what I was saying. The caravan platform would work and save you a lot of money since everything is interchangable all you would need to do is fab a driveshaft everything else should bolt or fab in with little or minor fabbing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have to agree with Ondonti about beefing up the internals. I admit I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to AWD transmissions. But yes, it would save a considerable amount of time and money to use the caravan trans even if you take into account needing to rebuild and strengthen it. I asked about the new Pacifica transmission a while ago, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the LX (Magnum, 300, Charger) AWD trans. As that might be a viable option as well despite having to mount the engine long ways.

-Joe

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was just saying that if you wanted to do a conversion and make it AWD that would be the way to go. Beefing up the internals is a great idea, I was talking from a swapping stand point.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I just got done looking at a Ford Escape AWD setup. The transaxle is mounted how ours are and the transfer unit is similar to how the caravan's AWD is. The driveshaft to the rear is small, so I doubt clearance would be an excessive issue.

Of course, we'd have to take a 568 or similar trans and have a big chunk of it chopped up to be able to custom bolt the transfer unit on. May even be able to use the independent rear suspension of the Escape.

As far as I know, I haven't heard of any Escape AWD stuff breaking.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Well I have 2 extra a543's here. It seems it would be fun trying to slap/cut/chop/grind that transfer unit on one of them. I guess I dont want to pay the prices at the local yards here for the stuff :p
If I could get that to work then I would need to start modding the rear of my duster for RWD so the awd would hook up. Then start breaking parts and buying more jackstands.
hmm I hate jackstands.....maybe its a bad idea.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ondonti said:
Well I have 2 extra a543's here. It seems it would be fun trying to slap/cut/chop/grind that transfer unit on one of them. I guess I dont want to pay the prices at the local yards here for the stuff :p
If I could get that to work then I would need to start modding the rear of my duster for RWD so the awd would hook up. Then start breaking parts and buying more jackstands.
hmm I hate jackstands.....maybe its a bad idea.
Why would you hate jackstands at least it will be the smoothest ride in the world. I don't get why you dont go and use Chrysler parts They started doing the AWD back in the 87 if I remember correctly

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
shelby1.5turbo said:
Why would you hate jackstands at least it will be the smoothest ride in the world. I don't get why you dont go and use Chrysler parts They started doing the AWD back in the 87 if I remember correctly
Apparently you dont know that dodge = chrysler.

Do I need to quote myself?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
561 Posts
they made one or two in 89 and they were just proto types. anyways why not use a dsm independant rear or a conquest? those are almost indistructable!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I've thought about this a lot recently... the whole concept of an AWD K-based car would be quite easy, but the only thing is that it costs $$$$$$$$$$ in custom fab parts. With a $15k budget, it should be do-able.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ondonti said:

I do know dodge = chrysler but i was saying that you acan pick up an AWD caravan and use those part all you would need is money for a junk yard donor, rebuild of the tranny, and rearend. The fab part of it should be minimal

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ondonti said:

I do know dodge = chrysler but i was saying that you acan pick up an AWD caravan and use those part all you would need is money for a junk yard donor, rebuild of the tranny, and rearend. The fab part of it should be minimal

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ondonti said:

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
shelby1.5turbo said:
Yeah Im still doubting you knowing that since I said this.

Ondonti said:
At that point I would just buy a DSM.

I think it would be fun to try to adapt chrysler stuff just to say "i did it"
Ondonti said:
I think if there was a way to avoid blowing the crap out of the chrysler PTU you could easily upgrade all the other awd parts that chrysler has on the awd v6's.

The only part you really need is the power transfer unit.
Ondonti said:
i dont know about using another ptu because all the other similar drivetrains have the tranny on the opposite side of the engine bay.

I really dont know what the weaknesses are in the chrysler PTU.
I know that recently the 3000gt guys have had someone make both cast iron and billet aluminum transfer cases to help their breakage problems.

If it was a problem with the actual case breaking, I would almost think you could build a "tomb" around it of other materials to keep the case from breaking.
Ondonti said:
To me the only interesting awd project would be one that used dodge parts, Just making it work wouuld be reward enough for me. Doesnt need to hold huge power.

Im sure you could do things to beef it up.
If you actually read my posts in this thread you would know I was already talking about caravan awd system and arguing against trying to fit "another" awd system in.
Doesnt make any sense to do all the work to use a DSM drivetrain in a turbododge if the cars will weigh the same.

If I did all the work to make an awd car then I would probably also be running spool in front, spool in rear, and spool for the center dif.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is probably going to sound like a really stupid idea, so I'll apologize from the beginning, 20 hour days are killer. But as I understand it the primary difference between an AWD and 4WD set up is the center differential. That being said why couldn't you just swap in a 4WD trans and rear end and then do a custom center differential. I realize there's probably a lot more to it then I'm thinking about right now. But I think that could be a fairly simple and cheap swap. Any ideas on how difficult/stupid/inefficient/"why the hell would you bother" this would be?

-Joe

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
joker5k1 said:
This is probably going to sound like a really stupid idea, so I'll apologize from the beginning, 20 hour days are killer. But as I understand it the primary difference between an AWD and 4WD set up is the center differential. That being said why couldn't you just swap in a 4WD trans and rear end and then do a custom center differential. I realize there's probably a lot more to it then I'm thinking about right now. But I think that could be a fairly simple and cheap swap. Any ideas on how difficult/stupid/inefficient/"why the hell would you bother" this would be?

-Joe
are you thinking RWD vs longitudinal AWD/4wd?????

·
Registered
196 Posts
That would be correct. I realize the implications of this, but I thought it might be worth throwing out just to get a feel for the idea.

-Joe

·
Registered
876 Posts
Two halfbaked thoughts...

Since the 1.7 engine in the L bodies was sourced from VW, is there any chance we might find any VW/Audi 4WD parts that will more or less bolt up? Or that can be modified more easily than just trying to hack to fit the first 4WD drive system you come across.

Second thought, this would be experimental, but I'm thinking something might be tried with hydraulic rear wheel motors driven by the pump in the tranny. Thinking there might be some mixing and matching possible in between older torqueflights for a beefier pump. Might not get a lot of power down like that, but could work pretty well.

Then there's the redneck method of course, saw pics somewhere of what looked like a mini bolted on top of an S15 frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok - so I see AUDI was mentioned....

Here is a thought... AUDI quatro - either in 5 or 8 cyl trim... transmissions. Basically they radiator is set to the left (drivers side and back). The trans has two FWD style axles and a rear output shaft that goes back to the rear axle.

Now since the 2.2/2.5 is a shorter motor - without measuring... it might be possible to use adapt the front axles and trans location... and then of course do the rear axle... whatever IRS unit you deside on.

The main thing is positioning the trans so the output/axles are in proper alignment with the front wheels... No idea how much shorter the 2.2/2.5 motor is... but the engine bay in most FWD is not exactly long... so could be an issue.

The other thought...
I have a 94 Lebaron with the v6, since the transmission - is basically the same as the AWD trans from the VR4 car, except that the AWD output shaft assembly is not installed. As I understand it, their is just a cover plate - pull the coverplate... install the AWD bits or swap trans... then install rear axle... then adapt 4 cyl instead of v6 motor and sort out EFI/wiring.

Then again.. you could in theory use the twin turbo v6 from the Stealth/3000 along with trans, harness, etc... stuff it in lebaron or other FWD...

Lots of ways to do the project and some might be lower budget.

Personally if doing a some sort of hybrid hotrod... I like the AUDI especially the V8 quatro donor idea... LSD available, capable of handling decent power, cheap car-parts.com source for parts.

Engine and trans mounted like a traditional RWD...

61 - 80 of 212 Posts