Turbo Dodge Forums banner

121 - 140 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
Ondonti said:
I have those 700mb torrent files and also the small 5 meg 6g72 manual
um actually

The .rar file unpacks to a .iso file and my computer doesnt know what to do with that.

BTW

SOmeone on the 3000gt boards translated a japanese getrag service manual. From what I know, there is no such thing as an english service manual because getrag made a contract with mitsubishi to pretend the transmissions were not servicable. Thats why real getrag transmissions suck.
ISO's are virtual copies of a CD or DVD. It's an "image" of the entire disc contents.

You can either Burn it to a disc. mount it with Daemon tools and use it virtually or view its content directly with a program like PowerISO (not free unless you "acquire" it on torrent site)

·
Registered
709 Posts
i cant find the link at the moment, but there is a company who made a small rock crawler with a FWD tranny. turned sideways turning a front and rear solid axle.. except that they had to mount it in the middle of the vehicle to make this possible. so unless you want the motor and tranny taking up the space where your driver seat in your car once was, i'd say the fwd tranny idea probably wont work (in these cars). i have thought about how cool it would be to hear a sweet sti rumble then see a shadow or something come around the corner hahahaha

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too thought it would be interesting to turn a FWD tranny sideways, I think the tranny housing where the diff. is would need to be lengthened away from the bell housing, so once it was bolted in the wrong way you would have more room for the front drive shaft to connected to the new front diff.

I think one were to do this to get the full good effect of having AWD, instead of a straight axle front end, get one off a mid 90's import or mabye even domestic 4x4, so the IFS would be utilized and keep your handling more like the shadow... I think with an AWD conversion since you have too replace the cross member and rear suspention all together that just getting some broke down 4x4 with a busted transfer case and pull all the suspenton parts yuo can off them, and you would be half way there as far as easy stuff goes...

Dustin

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just curious as to why it hasnt been at least tried.. seems like it could be doable if you have some $ and time to play with.
I got the time if you got the money!!!:thumb:

I would go with a caravan awd setup and (yes it's weak) look for ways to strengthen it. the only caravan specific parts u would need would be the crossmember and the Power transfer unit. the drive shaft can be custom made preferably allumnium and hell why not take the rear end unit from a vette or caddy that has an independant rear? That definately won't break & not to mention will DRAMATICALLY increase cornering & stability. Fabricating to make a rear end fit needs to be done anyway. Unless since the hubs are bolt on anyway, maybe it is possible to just bolt on caravan hubs & be done with it.

AWDFWDTECH

as for the weak power transfer unit i'm sure quaife can come up with stronger internals for it.

other option VS the caravan PTU is to find an awd high HP tranny that would work and machine a custom adapter plate to bolt it up to the motor, (i've done that on a woodchipper b4, blew the straight 6 and adapted in a stanger V8! Talk about a Heavy Duty [email protected]@!!! OMG lol)

Funding would be a great help but otherwise i'll let you know in about 10 years if it works or not :rofl2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I question the weak awd minivan statement. I know of several minvans awd that are turboed and running in the high 12 sec range at the track. yes 1/4 mile. and they are mostly stock running gear.
the biggest problem I have seen is breaking the cv joints and thus losing the drive to that wheel, and spiting the axle out once. I am sure we could find some stronger axles or go to a half shaft setup like the viper has in it. come to think of it I have a friend with a Jag I bet we could put the correct ends on those babies and make a minvan setup work. Just read about one of them at mopar action. they had one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have yet to hear of any turbocharged AWD minivan in the 12s... This would be great to see. As for the link above, that is from my site, just so folks know where this came from. Straight out of a 92 Minivan FSM.

I got the info about the weakness from a Chryco trans tech. That and the AWD was very picky about all 4 tires being the same and at the same pressures.

The buggy mentioned is built Rhino Offroad, using modified Ford 9" axles and Honda drivetrains. What is funny, Jeep was going to build a Jeep (see Allpar.com for the JJ) with independent front and rear with a 2.2 drivetrain mounted north south... Based off that idea, I was going to build a buggy using a 2.2 turbo2 myself. But got laid off a job before I could build it. I was going to use a Toyota IFS for the front and a Toy axle in the back, and use a sand rail for a chassis, but modify it to mount the 2.2 up front. Would have made for a decent rockcrawler.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I got the info about the weakness from a Chryco trans tech. That and the AWD was very picky about all 4 tires being the same and at the same pressures.
I second that, I heard of a chrysler minivan going through 3 tranny's in a month's time (awd housing kept cracking) the shop was frustrated loosing time & money on a warranty job till they realized the idiot owner of the van had a different size wheel on one of the axels.

Subaru's and most other AWD vehicles have this problem. Their Warranty is VOID if you put new tires on the vehicle in any combination other than 4 (meaning If you blow one tire you MUST buy 4 new tires) because the tread depth difference between a used tire & a new tire is enough to change axel speed and destroy the AWD components.

Part-time and full-time 4X4 vehicles do not have this problem because of the different drivetrain/transfercase setup.

So think twice when you decide between 2WD/4WD and AWD (unless ofcourse you have stock in Goodyear):D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Caravans were AWD and tthe parts are interchangable threw most of the mopar FWD family. Tranny is set up for an port for the rear drive set up. Also left and right sides of mopars are close to being the same dimesion wise so flipping a motor should work with some fabbing of course.
Yeah what he said. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on how to do an AWD system. I think the answer may have just passed me in the drive thru at McDonald's today. Has anyone seen or heard of an AWD Caravan ES. I didn't till today. Believe me, it was in bad need of a fixup, but it was still hauling kids to soccer practice after at least 15 years. It was awesome to look at and had badging I've never seen before. Yes, I checked the underside, and it did have front and rear differentials so this isn't a joke. I don't know what engine was in it and I don't know how rare it is, but for what it's worth, I figure if someone wanted to bad enough, they could pull the engine and trans out of it and put it in any other FWD Dodge from that era with little or no trouble. Maybe a custom driveshaft would be needed, but I figure axles and everything else is the same. One question though. Were all the AWD trannys automatic? I'd assume so. After all, it did go in the Caravan.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,900 Posts
It has been disscussed and has been deemed unreliable at high power levels. The stuff is just too weak to hold up to the kinda power we are talking about for traction. I still am waiting to see someone rebuild and beef up the set up and see how it works.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
the only one i can think of would be the 3000GT 5/6sp AWD transmissions and rear ends. those were factory 320hp drivetrains that people put 600-800+hp through. only catch is it will only work with a 3.0 setup with the engine rotated 180* and other custom fabrication work

·
Registered
4 Posts
why not use a Syncro VW drivetrain. motor is east-west, normal VW had a axel beam in the back (like the omni). the syncro only made it to the us for one year in the quantum passat but here in canada we had them for like 4-5 year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unreliable. won't hold up at big power levels, whatever anyone wants to say. So why is it that you can get a turbocharged 2.2 with a stock 5 speed stretch the spring in the fuel presure regulator to lie to the ECM and have higher presure at the injectors and run 13.0 at 100mph all day? and the big 3.8v6 that was in the AWD minivans didn't break anything but engine mounts. are we going simply on hearsay?
Venture over to MoparMuscles website and watch the videos of the stocl 2.2T running 13.0 pass after pass, Look around and I am sure some of you with more time than I have could find the Mopar Mag that did the 12 sec minivan and published it in a article.
Anyone been to Bristol TN lately, Last time I was there a minivan with all the stuff inside ran 12.7 at 115. left the line without even barking a tire. the most amazing thing was the guy drove it there unloaded family, bbq grill, canopy and seats for 6 people signed it up to race and went heads up to everything that would run him.
I have seen the things go. I just dont have a wrecked one around to get the parts from. If I did I would try it out for sure. And can anyone tell me where I can get the Super 60 Package mother mopar had out years ago. Only thing they still have listed is the computer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Once again, the limiting factor is the Power Transfer Module (think of it as a transfer case of sorts). And I am not too keen on 3 wheels being driven off one side of the diff.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Well I'm not really interested in this concept so I haven't read every post,but Caroll Shelby did this as a prototype with 16 valve 2.2 Daytona back in 83-84.Might check it out.i I have the magazine some where, I saw it not too long ago.Might look it up again if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK now I understand the reliability part. So didn't we have some Talons and Eclipses with AWD that made tons of power?
Think any of it would work?
I am dying to make an AWD 1979 OMNI with a 16v Super 60 Powered motor.
And yes Minivans run 12 sec quarter times.

12.61 @ 105 mph
Paul Smith 1989 Dodge Caravan

12.69 @ 106 mph
Terry Ryan's '89 Turbo mini
Niether of these are AWD but figure the weight/time/speed calculatioins and you get 325 and 340 hp repsectfully. woohoo
My Idea of an 1800 lbs OMNI should go in the 10's. Imagine what that will do to the jerks with the pissed off weedeater mufflers on Hondas making nothing but noise. Man this is going to be fun.

121 - 140 of 212 Posts