Turbo Dodge Forums banner

161 - 180 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why not AWD ?
Well Im going to try and answer the question posed.

The driveshaft for a plymouth voyager awd is next to impossible to find NEW, and totally impossible to find rebuilt or parts to rebuild it.

Now the price is also a little discouraging, its over $800 US.

Good thing is that you dont need it to drive the vehicle and you get better gas milage without the driveshaft.

If anybody knows anything about this item please send me a line [email protected]

I think the trans is from Toyota like the other minivans, it may be avail for a toyota vehicle somewhere.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Ummm, the tranny is 100% MOPAR. The design that was used by Toyota for the Celica AllTrac was "borrowed" from the Daytona+4 concept back in the early '80's.

The driveshaft can be built by any compitant dirveshaft shop. The only *real* issues are the rear diff and the PTU on the tranny, but both seem to be fairly stout based on research and photos by others.

The design was "carried" over in the the AWD Pacifica for a while, so parts availability for some of this stuff shouldn't be too horrible, not to mention AWD vans were produced well in to the 2000's.

Why AWD? Better launch capability, better road course manners, better autocross manners, and of course the "cool" factor.... So, again, why not AWD?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I remember reading about a Shelby prototype AWD Daytona back in '87 or '88 in one of the car mag's. Shelby had set it up for enhanced handling, not drag racing.
The AWD in the Caravan is based on Shelby's system. Back then 250 to 300 engine HP was top end stuff.

Anther AWD system that evolved around the same time and is still in use is the Mitsubishi for the Eclipse. That system might be more robust.

Antsco

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I remember reading about a Shelby prototype AWD Daytona back in '87 or '88 in one of the car mag's. Shelby had set it up for enhanced handling, not drag racing.
The AWD in the Caravan is based on Shelby's system. Back then 250 to 300 engine HP was top end stuff.

Anther AWD system that evolved around the same time and is still in use is the Mitsubishi for the Eclipse. That system might be more robust.

Antsco
Well, shelby didnt have a viscous coupler, so it was full time 4x4.

I dont know how you decided the purpose of the car though.

And the awd van stuff doesnt really look like shelby's unit. Shelby's looks a lot better :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, shelby didnt have a viscous coupler, so it was full time 4x4.

I dont know how you decided the purpose of the car though.

And the awd van stuff doesnt really look like shelby's unit. Shelby's looks a lot better :p
Never looked under either vehical.

Seems that if shelby sent the reporter up on to the winding roads in the hills by the design shop and not to the drag strip in front of the factory, it follows that handling was the issue. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Shelby sent the guy on the winding back roads becuase he recognizes that there is more to car performance than going fast in a straight line. You definatly do NOT need AWD to do that! However, corner exit speeds and overall manuevering manners of an AWD car will almost always be better than a 2WD varient, all other things being equal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ummm, the tranny is 100% MOPAR. The design that was used by Toyota for the Celica AllTrac was "borrowed" from the Daytona+4 concept back in the early '80's.
Ivew talked to a couple mechanics and they suggest the trans is a toyota design. If you can provide any links to suggest otherwise Id be sure to pass the info on
The driveshaft can be built by any compitant dirveshaft shop. The only *real* issues are the rear diff and the PTU on the tranny, but both seem to be fairly stout based on research and photos by others.
Well I guess then there are no compitant driveshaft shops in the Chicagoland area, Ive called tons and got only one to say, Ill like to see it
The design was "carried" over in the the AWD Pacifica for a while, so parts availability for some of this stuff shouldn't be too horrible, not to mention AWD vans were produced well in to the 2000's.
Wrong here for sure, I called a Mopar supplier and only 4 of the driveshafts are in the system NATIONWIDE and there are NO thats a capital N O , parts available to rebuild the shafts in the USA according to Mopar
Why AWD? Better launch capability, better road course manners, better autocross manners, and of course the "cool" factor.... So, again, why not AWD?
Once again parts availablity would suggest otherwise.
However Im going to hang in with this one put a few bucks into it since its snowing like crazy this winter. Oh and snow tires are hard to find for it too, they can be found but not cheap.

Thanks for the reply, and once again if you have any evidence to the contrary of what I say here PLEASE provide me links ...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Here's a link that is on another forum (and not *that* other forum, for those that are worried).

http://*****************/forums/showthread.php?t=10468

The AWD system later used was based on that design.

If you still have doubts, then just look up A604 on Wikipedea. The 41AE is the AWD derivative of that tranny, which was the FIRST of it's kind released to the public. Trust me, the AWD tranny and system that MOPAR used was 100% their design.

I don't know why it would be so hard to make a driveshaft "X" length with "Y" splines such-and-such a length on one side and a flange with "Z" dimensions on the other. People do this ALL the time for street rods and such. If the spline count is something non-standard, then you just need to find a machine shop with a EDM(I think that's the right name) machine and you can have the thing MADE!! You are not going to be able to take the driveshaft as it sits in a van and just plop it in one of our cars, it is going to be too long! It's going to HAVE to be modified.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since when are people who repair cars experts on "who designed it"????????????????
Driveshaft. If they know what they are doing they just use parts they have to make something work!
Well actually the guys at the trans shop told the mechanics the trans' were toyota

·
Registered
5 Posts
Might as well just buy a new one for $800

The guys with machine shops I lost track of many years ago to make it worth while to go through all that.

It is an EDM machine you're talking about. It uses a carbon tip and lots of amps to burn through anything to the shape you want.

Im checking out your link now, thanks for all the help.

UPDATE
I had the guys put the shaft back on and we found the squeeking problem, it was a metal dust cover over a bearing. No big deal, HOWEVER something must've happened to the shaft while it was off, rust got inside or they dropped it a few times in the shop because once I hit 20mph the van turned into a paint shaker. So Im back to where I started from ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a link that is on another forum (and not *that* other forum, for those that are worried).
This link doesnt work, if there is a problem sending "links" please email it to me

If you still have doubts, then just look up A604 on Wikipedea. The 41AE is the AWD derivative of that tranny, which was the FIRST of it's kind released to the public. Trust me, the AWD tranny and system that MOPAR used was 100% their design.
Ok Ill have to pass on the word then

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I'm kinda surprised the link to that site doesn't work here either. Let's just say that the words "boosted" and "mopar" are in the name of the site you could probably get there.

*goes off shaking head in amazement of the pettiness of the world at times...*

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I'm kinda surprised the link to that site doesn't work here either. Let's just say that the words "boosted" and "mopar" are in the name of the site you could probably get there.

*goes off shaking head in amazement of the pettiness of the world at times...*
They are both hosted by Frank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
now i know that daytonas come stock with a 3.0l engine in the '90s so why not use a 3.0l set up from a stealth or GTO and use the awd that is available with these cars?? its equal to the same amount of work as a rwd conversion.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
now i know that daytonas come stock with a 3.0l engine in the '90s so why not use a 3.0l set up from a stealth or GTO and use the awd that is available with these cars?? its equal to the same amount of work as a rwd conversion.
stealth/gt3000 has awd steereng. try to swap that... ;-)
These ideas have been discussed in length for a LONG time. Long story short...it aint' gonna happen unless you want to devote a LOT of time and money to a project that simply would just have a "cool" factor and NO other advantage....

161 - 180 of 212 Posts