Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will 225-50-16's fit a 1989 daytona shelby without rubbing? if so what tire would you recommend for all season driving. i live in minnesota and will more than likely be driving it in the snow.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
What size tires are O.E?
You can figure this out by comparing the difference in size from O.E to what you want to go to.
The 225 is tread width in mm's.
The 50 is the aspect ratio,meaning the sidewall height compared to tread width.
In this case the sidewall is 50% of the treadwidth or 112 1/2 mm's.
The 16 is wheel diameter.
I do not see the snow you will see but experiance with my vehicle is that once you are moving the vehicle handles fairly well as lond as there are no sudden movements or braking.The biggest problem I face is getting moving from a standing start,no traction and the rear end wants to come around(97" wheel base and no weight in the rear). I find I have to start in 3rd gear on slippery roads and if on an incline sometimes that does not help.
The problem with the tires is that tires in these sizes are designed for performance on dry pavement regardless of what the manufacturer says,to drive in snow you need tires with large cleats which are not available on low profile tires.
Find a tire that is rated as "All Season" look closely at the tread pattern and research online,then find the best available at the best price and of course...
Drive Smart and Safe.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Good point, the idea is to have the entire tread footprint making contact with the road surface.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Depending on the amount of snow you get where you are, you might consider a set of steel wheels with winter oriented tires on them or all season tires that have a more aggressive (poor weather) tread pattern to them.... and keep your alloys and performance tires for the summer. I have 205 60 15's mounted on my factory wheels (Turbostars) (6") and the left tire just touches the end housing on my trans at right full steering lock.

·
Registered
275 Posts
it also depends on the offset of the wheel. are you gonna run stock wheels with the 225? that seems like to much for 6" rim. I have 235/40/17's on my 89 csx and they dont rub at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 91 daytona CS with the 16" pumpers and they are only 6" wide and I have 225 50 16's on it with no problems what so ever and the over hang is not as much as many would think.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 91 daytona CS with the 16" pumpers and they are only 6" wide and I have 225 50 16's on it with no problems what so ever and the over hang is not as much as many would think.
My gf will like to hear that. What all season tires would you recommend. She posted first while I was doing ball joints on her car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I really dont know about all season tires, I have fusion ZRI's on my car and they are ok, I got them because a friend worked for a tire place and they were cheap.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Which all seasons to purchase?......thats not an easy question to answer...to be honest, ..the best individual to speak to is a local tire dealer...look at all of the tires available (in the size you are interested in) he can show you what the manufacturers recommend for a given size tire on a given wheel width, go over the different tread variations, compound wear ratings, speed ratings, temp ratings, keep in mind that the all season tire will be designed for an average duty...it will not be specifically designed for either performance or poor weather driving......its a tradeoff tire trying to do all reasonably well, but doesn't really excel in any...consider your location as well......how much snow do get where you are in Minnesota?..how much salt is laid down there to keep the roads clear?....as well.....how much money do you have to spend?....I personally don't run my alloys during the winter(because of the amount of salt we get when it does snow), they come off for a cheap set of Shadow/Sundance steels that I long ago picked up at a salvage yard and have a used set of snow oriented all seasons on them... do a bit of research, then try to make a reasonably knowledgeable decision. Best of luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just put a new pair of 225/50/16's on the front of my 89 daytona the right front rubs a tick under hard cornering, i will be dealing with that when i get home from work by simply heating up the inner fender guard at the bottom and bending it back a smidge. (or i could just cut 2" off the bottom) come May i plan on putting 4 new 225 50 16's on this car :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just put a new pair of 225/50/16's on the front of my 89 daytona the right front rubs a tick under hard cornering, i will be dealing with that when i get home from work by simply heating up the inner fender guard at the bottom and bending it back a smidge. (or i could just cut 2" off the bottom) come May i plan on putting 4 new 225 50 16's on this car :)
well this is helpful. thank you. if yours is only under hard cornering i should be fine and they shouldn't really rub. i already promised my bf i would take it easy on the car for a while, so there won't be any hard cornering done in this shelby for a long while.

·
Registered
46 Posts
well this is helpful. thank you. if yours is only under hard cornering i should be fine and they shouldn't really rub. i already promised my bf i would take it easy on the car for a while, so there won't be any hard cornering done in this shelby for a long while.
Its only on the inside fender well so its nothing to be worried about, i would not go any wider though as there is only at best a 1/2" of clearance between the edge of the tire and the top of the struts. and all i have to do is clip off 2" off the bottom of the inner fender gaurd and it wont rub anymore :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
BF Goodrich KDWS is an excellent tire. 225/50/16's fit on my Lebaron GTC without issue. (The Lebaron is basically the same car as the Daytona under the skin) BFG recommends a 7" wide wheel but states that 6"-8" is acceptable.

All the specific tire specs are at The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels. I would check out that site.

I live in Boston, all seasons are fine here.
Personally I would have snows if I lived in Minnesota and needed the car 24X7.
You would laugh at the winters we have here :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 225-50-15 Kuhmos and their horrible in the snow. I've hit the rev limiter just trying to get up my driveway. A wide tire floats on top of the snow and a narrow tire digs into the snow to get traction. Maybe cause a narrower tire has a smaller footprint, so the weight is spread over a smaller area whereas a wider tire has the weight spread over a larger area.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You would think...but that's not the case. Have you ever tried to ride a bike in the winter? Narrow is not better. It's all about surface area.

Your Kuhmos suck so much because of the tread. If you are driving through snow, you want to get a good "bite" into the snow, so you want tread that is really tall and has plenty of space between the "lugs" or "knobs". This way it can "grab" the snow and really throw it. Just look at a good set of "swampers." Unfortunately tall widely spaced tread patterns are terrible for performance.

Why do rally cars run really narrow tires for ice racing. Because narrow tires do cut through snow...right into the ice underneath, then you sit and spin. Rally cars also run studs and screw, so they want to get to the ice underneath, because the screws with actually rip into the ice.

Still not buying it? What about hill climbing snowmobiles? They run the widest and longest tracks out of anyone, and with 3" lugs. They don't try to ride necessarily "on top" of the snow, they are trying to bite into and "throw" the absolute most amount of snow to propel themselves forward.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Narrower tires are better in snow, period. The tire doesn't have as much surface area so it doesn't have to plow through as much snow. Here is what Tirerack says:

Winter Tech - Size Selection of Winter Tires

I use 225/50/16 on my Spirit R/T and I don't see why they wouldn't fit on a Daytona. They are a little tall though, and suck in the snow.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The only thing that i'm seeing is that tire rack wants to sell you tires that would require you to buy another set of rims... Hmmm...do you think that they are also trying to increase rim sales?

And if that's the case, I would HATE to see to see this guy try and get through the snow, with these wide flotation tires.

http://www.4x4wire.com/feature/daveniles/dave1.jpg

And all of you that say that you're 225's suck... what kind of tires are you running? Summer tires? I still have a feeling that this is more of a tread type issue. If you have good tread that can really "grab" snow, you will dig right through the snow.

I will say though, it is a function of surface area versus volume of snow being "transplanted" by the tire. A wide low pro tire that has very minimal tread and a large contact surface will not move enough snow out of the way, and will get stuck. So yes...in that case, a skinny tire WITH BETTER TREAD, would do better. But a wider tire with a good snow tread will do even better than the skinny.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've ridden in the snow in an SVT Cobra that had Goodyear Eagle F1s and it went better than my car. I'd think the treads on those are way more aggressive than mine for dry weather traction. I wish I had money to buy winter tires but it looks like I'm gonna have to suffer until spring comes around and the snow melts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts