Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is probably a dumb question but I feel the need to ask it...
I have a 1990 Omni that I was gonna convert to a T2 so Ive bought everything needed for the conversion but then I came into a 1984 Omni for next to nothing so I bought it just because...

Then I started thinking rather than tearing apart a perfectly good 1990 omni I should keep that in perfect condition as a daily driver and put everythng in my 1984... I know Ill have to change the axles in the 84 to work with my a555 but other than that Im hoping everything else will work (fingers crossed)

So right now I have a 1988 T2 motor and a 1989 minivan wiring harness that Im hoping is useable in a 1984 Omni conversion... Will the wiring harness work?? And has anybody done this particular wiring and have any tips??? Thanks in advance for any/all help and advice!!!

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
different style bulkhead connectors.. couple choices:

1. splice the 84 female bulkhead connector onto the 89 engine harness, add whatever wires needed, then that modded harness would plug directly into the 84 body

2. get an 89 style male bulkhead connector and splice your 84 underdash harness to that, then the 89 engine harness would plug directly into that

3. eliminate both male & female bulkhead connectors and hard wire the engine harness to the under dash harness
(thats what I did, removed lots of complexity ,connections ,weight)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
different style bulkhead connectors.. couple choices:

1. splice the 84 female bulkhead connector onto the 89 engine harness, add whatever wires needed, then that modded harness would plug directly into the 84 body

2. get an 89 style male bulkhead connector and splice your 84 underdash harness to that, then the 89 engine harness would plug directly into that

3. eliminate both male & female bulkhead connectors and hard wire the engine harness to the under dash harness
(thats what I did, removed lots of complexity ,connections ,weight)

Thanks!!!! That totally explained what I needed to know, Ima follow in your footsteps and go for option 3... That seems to be the easiest and beat set up for less hassles in the long run. Thanks again fo the help!

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
yup ;
you need are the underdash wiring diagram for the 84
and the engine wiring diagram for the 89;

and a big table, soldering iron, solder, shrink wrap, ..
and about 3-4 hours to figger it out and do it ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts