Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing an MSD ignition in my GLHS. Does anyone have any experience with this? Did it improve performance? The major reason I want to install is to have a rev limiter on the car. My son wants to race the car and I don't want him to miss a gear and blow the motor because he is to slow taking his foot off the gas.
Do these cars have a factory rev limiter built in and if so what RPM?

Thanks,

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Unless your stock coil isn't work correctly, there will be no noticeable improvement.

He'll blow that A525 before he does the motor.

Rev limit is between 6168RPM-6650RPM

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
thinkin the o p ment a msd ignition box - don't know about improvement on that

all turbo mopars have a rev limit and an over boost cut out

rpm limit depends on the computer in the car - I had two , one ran to about 5800 the other cut out at 7200

both worked in my 85 - I don't know what they were as they came out of 2 of the half dozz cars I striped parts out of at a couple local wreakers

as for the trans blowing , it depends - if it's an old sloppy puke trans it won't last long

I only ever had to fix one 525 'cause it ran dry shortly after I bought the car and the diff burned up , locked up and busted alot of stuff in the diff
I also managed to snap the 1-2 shift fork

this was a 305 final drive carb car trans - no hd parts 'cept the one shift fork

I replaced the fork with a brand new one for a turbo trans , replaced all 4 spider gears in the diff and the pin - which I peged in place with a roll pin from a dart steering collum , replaced all the bearings & races throughout the trans and installed a new set of the plastic pads that go on the ends of the fork fingers

I put it all back together with the orig shim for the input shaft under the snout the through out bearing rides on and that was that - other than filling it with 5w-20 motor oil

I never checked end play or run out on anything - everything was a little to tight - needed to use a ratchet to turn the input shaft with no other parts in the trans

when I started it , it ran slow for about a min then picked up engine speed as the trans was run into the specs it chose to run it's self

I blew 10 - 12 pounds of boost into the motor and NEVER had a trans prob in the 6-7 years I beat the livin snot out of it every day

it saw 7200 rpm severial times a day with a power shift here - there and everythere

only prob I had was keepin rod bearings in the 85 motors - that ended when I stoped useing castrol AND 85 motors

sorry if that seems to have turned into a rant - just gettin tired of the 525 bashin when I know I've made one work without any great effort

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
You haven't seen The Pope blow one up in a block then :)
back when there were only a few years old and built with new MP parts lol. Getting a 525 to survive in a G body? I have only ran them in light weight L bodys, and they last like an egg timer. Add hiem joints and run the low geared version in a NA GLH and there not a bad trans. Hit third hard with a GLHS and a stage 2 computer and 3rd spreads. Power shift one or speed shift one and the torque tweeks the case front the bearing location and the spiders get tweeked. Once that happens BOOOOOOOM

As for the MSD, it is already easy to melt the tips off the 2.2 spark plug wires. Adding a MSD makes the spark look like an arc welder, not a good idea.

The stage 2 Mopar computer is 7,200 RPM rev limit and the stock one is 6,500-6,750 I believe.

I've seen many broken 2.2s and 2.5s, extremely rare for it to be because of RPM.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the 525 is gone. On of the spider gears ended up in the bellhousing and took out the pressure plate. We are in the process of installing a 555 with a six puck ceramic disc clutch. We are waiting on the shift linkage brackets from omni potent to finish the install.
I hope they come soon because my son wants to race at the Highschool drags in two weeks at the local drag strip.
He is hoping to get into the 13's but I don't know if he can drive stick well enough to hit his goal.
The car is capable but it needs a good driver.
Hooking up and clean shifts are the key.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
poly front bushings, 0 toe, 1.5 negitive camber, konis on high in the rear and remove the front sway bar.

Consider the stage 5, +20s and 3 bar map with an upgrade to 87 T2 electronics.

The max level for the GLHS engine is the +20s, so stock the 18-20 PSI with computer controled boost. The computer will deal with detonation and rev limit. You can also ask for a custom rev limit.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f62/358228-getting-20-pounds-per-square-inch.html

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The GLHS is stock with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust a stage 2 computer and a granger valve. When we race it we will run 110 octane race fuel. The car should run high 13's.
I ran a stock 86 charger turbo 1 and ran high 14's. This car pulls much harder and is running 5 psi more boost.
The key is hooking up and flat shifting.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've had a 6AL box on my 85 GLHT for 20+ years. One thing it will do is allow you to run much larger plug gaps when you raise the boost a bunch. I actually increased plug gap instead of tightening it up after installing the MSD. Can't do that without an ignition upgrade. Quicker starts for sure too. I have an MSD adjustable timing controller in my car as well. That allows you to advance or retard timing on the fly depending on quality of fuel you are running. Ever pay for premium and probably got 87 octane?

There have been some people that have complained about quality of electronics used in newer MSD products. All of my experiences have been with very old units. They have never failed.

Ignition is not going to gain you HP but it can certainly cost you if it isn't up to the task.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts