Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I have yet another question about this. I just bought a clutch kit More Information for VALEO 52281401

and i was reading the instruction & it says when you put a new clutch kit in to changed the flywheel too.

I when ahead and ordered a flywheel More Information for BRUTE POWER/PERFECTION CLUTCH 503402

my question is did i get the right one ? My brother says that it won`t work.
Nope.

Your 85 motor has a 6 bolt crank flange. The flywheel you ordered is 8 bolt. Chrysler switched to 8 bolts in 86. Good luck finding a new 6 bolt turbo flywheel. They aren't made anymore that I can find. I'd just take your flywheel to a good local clutch shop and have it resurfaced.

·
Super Moderator
11,683 Posts
+ 1
cancel the flywheel order if you still can and take your old flywheel to the machine shop to be resurfaced
it should only cost 40-60 bucks at most if things are the same there as here

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok i put in a cancel request(hope it goes thru),i am not sure if there is any machine shops around this area but ill check around. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Ok i put in a cancel request(hope it goes thru),i am not sure if there is any machine shops around this area but ill check around. Thanks
What you want is a drivetrain shop. They usually will build driveshafts, and have clutches for virtually anything. Look for a place all the local farmers go to get clutches for their tractors. That is usually the best shop...

The local one I use had a clutch disc in stock for my Scamp. In the past I've bought a clutch off the shelf for a 53 Plymouth, and a 1941 John Deere model H tractor. I dropped off the flywheel for my Daytona, and it was ready the next day. I've even gotten lucky before and been in there on a day they were slow, and they did a flywheel while I waited.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have another question about the bracket ( i bought from polybushings.com) for the bobble strut that mounts on the K-frame.Does anyone know exactly where on the K-frame where you weld it on ? I didnt know if the pic on polybushings.com is where you weld it at or is there enough room with the new transmission in to weld it ?

steel engine mount bracket

·
Super Moderator
11,683 Posts
well this should help

when swapping from a 525 to any of the later 5spd transmissions the new bobble bracket location is right beside the old one

I mean , RIGHT BESIDE

you don't really need the new bracket to weld on , just a short section of pipe and a bolt that's about twice as long

the new bobble bracket will come down right beside the earlier mount on the passenger side of the old mount , or towards the crnter of the car

in other words put the new one right beside the old one , up tight to the side of it - IF you really want to weld a new one on

my way , the short piece of pipe goes between the ears on the old early mount then I bolt the bottom of the newer bobble bracket to the side of the early mount and the long bolt goes through both ears , the section of pipe between them and the bottom bolt hole of the bobble bracket

I've done this in an 85 daytona with a stock log suck through turbo motor without problem or failure

you could simply leave the old mount on the K frame and weld the new one on right beside and tight against the old one leaving you the option of either trans still fitting later

IF you are still using the old log motor you need to cut a hook shaped "finger" off of the top of the 520/555
- you'll know what I mean when you see it
this hook interfears with the egr tube on the old log motors ( it surves no purpose on the trans and can easily be hacked off by whatever means you have handy , grinder or hacksaw)

adding the section of pipe and the longer bolt will also add some insurance should your welds fail - oil saturation and or rust could make a strong weld difficult in some cases

and no the old mount on the K frame will not interfear with the fitment of the later trans

IF you have doubts simply install the trans with my method using the section of pipe then you can confirm the bobble bracket is in straight before you weld the new bracket on

I should add the bobble bracket isn't really ment to prevent the engine from leaning or rotating back towards the firewall but rather it's an antirotational link intended to prevent the diff and axles from lifting when you stuff the car into reverse but people use the adjustable version to preload the angle of the drivetrain and to replace the shock style bobble mounts that never were any dam good

and , 87 K cars & some caravans actually still used a dog bone style bobble bracket like a charger or omni has , with a unique bracket to mount it to the back of the diff of the 520/555

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
ok i get what your saying.Im prob leave the old mount on there so ill try the new mount or try the pipe way.
Thanks for the info on that so quick.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
lol thats fine i do the same thing.The weld should be ok.The people i bought it from beat the hell out of it there is atleast half a inch of mud caked up on the underside of the car surprisingly its not rotting it more like it preserved it.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Ok i bought this clutch kit More Information for VALEO 52281401 it don`t fit it`s to small so my question is what kit do i need to buy ?
What do you mean it's "too small"? Splines in the clutch disc? or the pressure plate?

By the description, it should fit. The late(91+) trans were 17T large spline input shafts, and the turbo clutch is 9"(230mm).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
yes i did basically they told me this :

Your order was placed more than 30 days ago. I'm sorry, but we're not able to accept a return at this time. The part was sold under a "Wholesaler Closeout" which carriers a 30 day warranty. We do not have flexibility with these kinds of parts.

Please see our Return Policy on our Help page.

Thank you,

so im stuck with it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts