Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im needing to know if there are any special needs for replacing a windsheild on an 88 daytona t top car? Im unclear of what needs to be done? Does all the moulding around the windsheild need to come off,including the moulding along the top edge by the t tops? :shrug:Also,that little rubber moulding that goes around the glass itself,is that available? Has anybody replaced a windsheid out here that can give me a little "how to" info? It would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, :thumb:

·
Administrator
4,012 Posts
Oh what a nightmare.. lol

PM me your e-mail and I can send you a PDF of the service manual portion of the T-top trim removal/adjustments. I explains everything in detail

Yes all the plastic trim has to come off surrounding the windshield, they are held on by rivets.

First at least the front section of the seals have to come out, this is scary because they are full of sealent and tear easy, and new seals are very expensive (~$550 set) and hard to get (member shelbymopar89 sells them but I heard he is low in his NOS stock).

Then there are metal "seal holders" screwed onto the car, these must be removed to get to the plastic side trim. This is also held on with lots of sealent.

Then you can drill the rivets out of the side trim, also scary because they are so friggen brittle.

The top of the windsheild trim is held on by rivets as well, they go right through the felt strips that are attached to it. I can't remember if the center bar has to come out, but if it does you have to take the headliner out and it un screws from the roof from the inside.

Then you clean it all up, put in the new windshield, and installation reverse of removal besides you have to re-apply the sealent all through the trim/metal retainers and rubber seals.

I don't know if you can get that gray rubber moulding that goes around the windsheild, check an auto glass shop. I'm missing mine, I say it's not 100% required but would be nice to have original.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOLY [email protected]! I do not like the way this sounds,gonna have to find someone who's done this b4 for sure-rivets:confused:sheeesh,what were they thinking:bang head. Im PMing you for that pdf for sure,im sure i or whomever i get to do this will need it. Thanks so much. :thumb:
Oh what a nightmare.. lol

PM me your e-mail and I can send you a PDF of the service manual portion of the T-top trim removal/adjustments. I explains everything in detail

Yes all the plastic trim has to come off surrounding the windshield, they are held on by rivets.

First at least the front section of the seals have to come out, this is scary because they are full of sealent and tear easy, and new seals are very expensive (~$550 set) and hard to get (member shelbymopar89 sells them but I heard he is low in his NOS stock).

Then there are metal "seal holders" screwed onto the car, these must be removed to get to the plastic side trim. This is also held on with lots of sealent.

Then you can drill the rivets out of the side trim, also scary because they are so friggen brittle.

The top of the windsheild trim is held on by rivets as well, they go right through the felt strips that are attached to it. I can't remember if the center bar has to come out, but if it does you have to take the headliner out and it un screws from the roof from the inside.

Then you clean it all up, put in the new windshield, and installation reverse of removal besides you have to re-apply the sealent all through the trim/metal retainers and rubber seals.

I don't know if you can get that gray rubber moulding that goes around the windsheild, check an auto glass shop. I'm missing mine, I say it's not 100% required but would be nice to have original.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im needing to know if there are any special needs for replacing a windsheild on an 88 daytona t top car? Im unclear of what needs to be done? Does all the aftermarket parts around the windsheild need to come off,including the moulding along the top edge by the t tops? :shrug:Also,that little rubber moulding that goes around the glass itself,is that available? Has anybody replaced a windsheid out here that can give me a little "how to" info? It would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, :thumb:
Man that sounds like a tough project. I'm guessing you've never done this? If I were you, I would defiantly get a friend or someone that I know to help me.. It's pretty stressful and difficult especially if it's your first time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, i actually saw that,its what got me very unhappy-LOL. Hope you have a great Holiday and please do let me know when you return.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f34/172219-t-top-windshield-replacement.html
Have not forgotten about you. Here is an old how to thread I posted in 2008
Yes,it sounds like an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE! just cant beleive how difficult this is,seems to me dodge could have done a better set up to make it a little less unbeleivably difficult to replace a part thats easy to be broke. Anyway,i have found a freind of a freind who does glass for a living and has done these b4-WHEW- feelin lucky. I'll let you know how it goes- got the glass for 130 and seal surround for 50,i think the guy is charging 75 for install,sounds like a deal? :thumb:
Man that sounds like a tough project. I'm guessing you've never done this? If I were you, I would defiantly get a friend or someone that I know to help me.. It's pretty stressful and difficult especially if it's your first time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts