Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so like many on here I want to wire the rad fan ground wire to a switch that way I can turn it off and on and yet have it cycle like it should.

But, I want to have it connected to a lighted switch that way I know if I have the fan on manually or not. Is this possible because I don't want to send power to the ground wire?

Maybe it would be easier to just run the fan off and on manually since this is for a car that is drag race only?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
The easiest way to do what you want is with a relay. Have the relay switch the ground for the fan, and use your lighted switch to control the + power for the relay control.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You don't need a light to remember, if you wire up a switch to activate the relay it will only work when the key is on. Also if you left the ignition on and got out of the car you're going to hear the fan running. I put in a non lighted switch and put it in so up is on in case you needed help remembering.

Plus all the lighted switches I've seen always use the ground for the light and it's switched on and off by the breaking or completing the circuit on the power side.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I definitely want to be able to run the fan without the ignition on. So I think you are right my best bet is to just use a non lighted switch. Thanks!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you want to be able to run fan with the key off you'll need to add another relay like Greg (83 scamp) suggested to do it right. But running the fan without the engine running isn't really gonna do much for you. It will cool coolant in the radiator but coolant in engine won't cool unless it's circulating. The easiest way would be to install a ground switch non lighted and tap into fan relay trigger wire. Then just leave key in run position if you want it on while engine is not running.

·
Administrator
24,125 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts