Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 daytona t1 I am junking, I have an 87 shelby z I will be using as my car. but I would like to run the 88+ wirring and computer as I have a aftermarket one. how big of a job would it be to switch it.

L

·
0 Posts
no one know what is envolved? or if it is possible?
Sorry,I didnt see this earlier. I did that very same thing once. You need to change out the dash harness along with the engine bay harness to run the 88 SMEC electronics in your 87. Its easier than it sounds as the rest of the body harness is plug and play with both 87 and 88 dash harnesses. If both cars have the same color dash just swap the dsah completely so you dont have to pull all the dash wiring off the one and put it on the other. Good luck...

·
Legendary Driver
10,944 Posts
The wiper motor plug is different. What I did was get an extra 87 T1 50 pin plug and cut and splice all the wires for the engine harness. Was far easier than pulling the dash. Used solder and heat shrink and you can't even tell anything was done.

L

·
0 Posts
The wiper motor plug is different.
Oh ya,thats right. Its been like 5 years since I did that so I totally forgot. I was switching interior colors so thats why I went with the dash swap way. You also have to cut out the hole in the firewall to fit the round plug for the SMEC harness as the 87 haas a square hole.

GLHNSLHT2's way works too as I made a 87/89 harness a few years back as well. I guess it all depends if you like to cut and splice or not:D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awsome I will probably cut and splice. I will just find another 87 harness to get the bulk head plug and then make a harness.

the interiors are not close in color so I won't change the dash. but I will leave my stock 87 harness in one peice (other then steeling the plug for the wipre motor) intact incase I need to revert back to the 87 wirring for any reason

thanks I really just needd to know if I should bother pulling and keeping the harnesses out of the 88, so I will for the wirring swap

thank you very much guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts