Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I trying to swap a 3.0l in my 1992 p body 4 doors. The wirring come from an other 1992 P body v6. The problem is a wire is completely burn. All the rubber on it is melted out. This is the wire on the pin out 12 !! What is the purpose of this wire ? And I would like to know what is the purpose of the big 20a yellow fuse on the wirring harness near the fire wall inside the car ?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Pin 12 from the computer is the power ground. I'd check the rest of that harness over CAREFULLY, there may be other issues.
The big fuse is the fan fuse. Why it's a larger fuse size than anything else in the car, why it's under the dash by itself....Well, it's a Mopar. All I can tell you is that they are a complete and utter pain to get out of the holder. I had to cut the one in my Duster in half with a Dremel so I could wiggle the remaining stubs around enough to get it out. And none of the other ones I've had to do have been much easier.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I think you just had a bad experience.

I just checked the one in my duster (didnt know it was for the fan and the fan doesnt work in my duster) and it pulled out with no effort. I then swapped it with one that was in a wiring harness sitting in the driveway in front my my duster. Both in and out with almost no effort.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wire is completely melted out but the car was running very fine before I pulled the wirring. And this is not the pin 12 on the sbec its the pin 12 on the gray plug under the dashboard

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If it's the plug I think you mean, then it's the negative for the right front speaker. Dark blue with a red trace for the wire color? Assuming you can find any unmelted, that is!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK under the dashboard you have 3 connectors near the fusebox a black a green and a gray. All the 3 connectors are plugged on the underhood wirring harness. The wire is black and gray and it come out of the pin 12 of the gray connector and go to a copper connector near the handlebrake pedal

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Looking in the 92 FSM, it says that the pin 12 for the gray connector is circuit L60, the right front turn signal. But it lists the wire color as "TN", which is solid tan with no other color trace. The only black and gray wire on that connector, per the FSM, is pin 2, which is the brake warning lamp circuit, and is mostly gray with a black trace.
None of the other connectors use pin 12, again per my 92 FSM.
Okay, holding the connector flat with the clip recess down, pin 12 should be the one just to the left of the recess on the lower row of 8 wires. Right?

Gimme 5 minutes, I've got access to my Duster in that area at the moment. Pics coming!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Okay, here's a pic from my 92 Shadow. The gray connector is on the right. That's the one you're talking about, correct?

Pin 12 is in the right side row of that connector, 4th one up. The color is washed out by my LED flashlight, but it's a solid tan wire for mine. Is there any evidence somebody messed with the wiring before you got it?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is on the right or left row but it is the last or the first square !! I don't remember! the pins is on an extrimity of a row

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The end pins are 1, 8, 9, and 16.

Pin 1 is Windshield wiper motor power. It should be a dark blue wire.
Pin 8 is High-beam headlamp. It should be a Red wire with an Orange trace, and thicker than the other wires.
Pin 9 is Low oil pressure warning lamp. It should be a solid gray wire.
Pin 16 is Reverse lights power, and is a solid white wire.

Is there a way for you to get a picture of it? I'm kind of stumped here.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok Iwill try to take a picture this week end because I leave home during the week for studies. I will be right back friday night or saturday morning with the pics

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.