Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 Omni GLHT and it wont start the timing is good and there is fuel. I think the +40 injectors are putting out the spark... Is this possible?

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
quite possible it is flooding the cylinders down with the +40's in there, what other mods are done to the car to warrant using +40 injectors?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its original plan was to go TII but plans fell through. Its basically stock GLHt other than 3" swing valve, 3" downpipe, Walbro 225 fuel pump and ported head. I got it non-opp and havent gotten it to start yet...

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
"Walbro 225 fuel pump" did you an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. How much fuel pressure do you have at the rail? Could it be a stuck on injector? I just had to replace mine do that problem.

Dennis

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
If your plugs are fuel fouled the car will never start and additional fuel will dilute the oil and wash down the cylinder walls causing internal engine damage.
The Walbro pump is fine, the fuel pressure regulator controls rail pressure.

1)Install stock injectors
2)Verify Fuel Pressure is correct
2)Replace Plugs
3)Change Oil

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would i go about checking the fuel pressure at the rail?
Damn, i just filled it up with new oil, bought new plugs, and got these new injectors... but ill try anything to get it running!

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
You can smell the oil, if it smells like fuel you will have to change it again.
Are the plugs fouled with wet/raw fuel?
Do you still have the stock injectors to put back in?

The only time you need larger injectors is if you are running higher boost levels and then you also need an AFPR, a Wideband A/F Gauge to tune the fuel system a 3 Bar Map if over 14.5 lbs of boost and a Calibrated Controller to run it all.

Either way stock or modded you need a fuel pressure gauge.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/358339-checking-fuel-pressure-84-93-turbo.html

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only time you need larger injectors is if you are running higher boost levels and then you also need an AFPR, a Wideband A/F Gauge to tune the fuel system a 3 Bar Map if over 14.5 lbs of boost and a Calibrated Controller to run it all.

I have all this stuff because i was going to do some work on the car while i was rebuilding it, but now im just going for stock and to get it going... Do i still need all this stuff if im leaving it stock?

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
If you are staying stock use all of the stock components, injectors, controller, map sensor.
The +40's are way too much fuel for a stock setup.

The Walbro 255 will be fine, that is a good upgrade from the OE pump.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would i have to do to warrant using these things, because i have bought and gathered all these extra parts to use on the car.

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
What would i have to do to warrant using these things, because i have bought and gathered all these extra parts to use on the car.
Why are you changing your plans to mod the car?

What were your plans for the car...How much boost, HP etc.?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frustration.... I just felt like everything i did made more problems to overcome. I am new to turbo stuff. I have been reading a lot about everything on this site that seemed to pertain to what i was hoping to achieve with my build and started collecting parts that i might need. School piled on and the car fell by the wayside, i just graduated and now looking for a job. During my employment search i started back on the car.

Trying to achieve high 12's... i was trying to get similar numbers as a GLHS.

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
Let me contact someone that may be able to help.

In the meantime do you have the OE parts to put back in so you can get the car started.
You do not want to add performance mods until you know your basic engine and systems are up to par.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do still have most of the parts... It needed new injectors when i got it thats why the upgrades started, but i can get new stock ones to put in there. Thanks for the help! You really are a "Human Factory Service Manual"

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
I am assuming at this time the stock injectors are the parts that were changed?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, the stock injectors were replaced with the +40s, the swingvalve was replaced with a 3", and the downpipe was replaced with a 3". These are the only non-original parts on the car.

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
Also, just a little explanation of how the system works and why you cannot use larger injectors by themselves.

Fuel Pressure and Injector Size are a constant that are programmed into the engine controller.
The main fuel control sensor is the MAP Sensor which tells the engine controller how much air is actually entering the engine.
Along with other sensor info like coolant temp, throttle position the controller determines how much fuel the engine needs at that moment and controls how long the injector is electrically opened, then closed(pulse width).
The controller knows that with it's programmed injector size and fuel pressure that when it pulse widths the injectors it will get a certain amount of fuel.
If you change the size of the injector the controller does not know this and controls the injectors as if they were stock.
The larger injectors will supply way to much fuel under those conditions and the car will run extremely rich.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
first i would suggest reading the popes 20 psi thread and following that, but you can sub in your +40's for the +20's he recommends but you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to turn the fuel pressure down some so it isnt too rich at idle and wot. now, does your car have spark? can you give us a history on the car? i know you said you got it in a non running state, but did you ever check for spark and did you check fuel pressure?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the only parts that are not stock/original are the injectors replaced with the +40s, the swingvalve replaced with 3", and downpipe replaced with 3".

The head, intake, and exhaust all are mildly ported.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
drowned with fuel, you washed your cylinders and killed compression. Take out the +40s. Then take out the spark plugs and add new ones, turn over the engine for 30 seconds with no plugs to air out the cylinders. Add 4 squirts of oil with an oil can to each cylinder and try to start it on the stock injectors. Don't add the injectors before a 3 bar computer and map has been added to use them. Hopefully you didn't wipe out the cylinders.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts