Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
87 CSX, 88 Shadow, 89 CSX
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Ok so fwdperformance got back in touch with me and said it is a vnt28 machined into the vnt25 housing.

Now that this is verified, how can I increase my gains? Right now this vnt28feels a bit sluggish.

Everything is stock other than the vnt28. I do know that in 1991 the block was replaced by a Mopar performance short hole (whatever that is).

This vnt28 was put on in 2016.

I have in a box in the trunk +20% injectors, freebar map sensor, a doa stage 3 module computer. The seller said the set up didn't run because the computer was doa. He said the original injectors were cleaned and put back in and "put the shelby computer in it"

There is a totally random code 31 for a purge solenoid. The solenoid was replaced and wiring was checked and everything seems to function like it's supposed to.

I know thats allot to read through but hopefully that helps. So... what do I need to do here to get more boost here?

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,397 Posts
Oh. LOL. Yep. I got back from a long trip just now. Haven't checked in in a bit.

I had a performance VNT SBEC for my Lebaron coupe that was also dead. I'm beginning to think that SBECs do not like to be socketed. If your SBEC was swapped back to stock then you need to either get a working SBEC with a tune for VNT 28, or put a VNT 25 back in it. You most likely won't achieve stock horsepower levels and could be causing detonation running the engine lean in the current configuration.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Oh. LOL. Yep. I got back from a long trip just now. Haven't checked in in a bit.

I had a performance VNT SBEC for my Lebaron coupe that was also dead. I'm beginning to think that SBECs do not like to be socketed. If your SBEC was swapped back to stock then you need to either get a working SBEC with a tune for VNT 28, or put a VNT 25 back in it. You most likely won't achieve stock horsepower levels and could be causing detonation running the engine lean in the current configuration.
I'll look around and see if I can find a stage 3 .module . I'll check back in with fwdperformance and see if maybe someone has one for sale here in the forums. If I canr find a computer I'll pick up a vnt25

So if I can get hold of a computer, all I'll really have to do then is install the injectors and things shoild be ok?.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

So before I go off and look for another computer, I should probably test this one and be sure it really is DOA. Rhe guy who sold me the car says it is but I haven't tested it.

This is probably a stupid question but how can I be sure it's no good? I guess basically throw the computer and injectors in the car and see if it runs? Can this be tested without switching out the injectors?

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,397 Posts
Yes. If the car runs it may be fully functional. I doubt they would say it was toast without a reason though. A lot of guys disconnect the hose between the ECM and airbox and those components need that airflow to survive. Chrysler engineers didn't set it up that way for no reason. There are heat sinks that pull heat away from the voltage regulator components and coil driver components.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I should go ahead and put that 'don't computer in and the injectors if it can figure it out.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,397 Posts
I would personally just swap the turbo out. You'd be surprised how wild of a ride a stock VNT car is. Especially with some sticky tires. The powerband is crazy wide.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I always considered the the VNT more a technical novelty, no disrespect intended.

Heavy T-II Daytona's were a bit if a challenge to get rolling smoothly without stalling.

Once rolling, the T-II no doubt outperformed the VNT in a drag or any race.

As mentioned, the VNT advantage was it came off the line briskly, no stall.

Back around 1990 a local had a red 89-90 Shadow T-IV competition.

By chance, I pulled beside side him in a stock red 1985 Omni GLH Turbo.

Glances and smiles were exchanged and we played for awhile.

No standing starts but rolls from about 5 mph for about 1/8 mile.

We floored them about the same time and he moved up smartly.

Top of 2nd gear I was beside him then began pulling ahead.

We raced about 1/8 mile and made several runs in 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Omni always by a little and the gap continually opened slightly.

Its understandable many get a regular T-II Garrett swapped in.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I wouldn't mind putting in a stock VNT25. Either way, VNT25 or vnt28 with the injectors and ecu, I'm a happy guy. I'm just glad to have the car. The car is clean and the motor is clean. It's a show car. But I'd like to do either or. Vnt25 or finish up the 28 setup. The latter would be cheaper and easier since all I really need most likely is the ecu since the turbo is already on the car. I'd have to pay a mechanic to put the Vnt25 back on plus I would have to find and buy the turbo.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,397 Posts
It won't be cheaper if the SBECs die as a side effect of their being socketed.

Randy what year was that? Rhetorical; tire technology sucked a dick before the 2010s. :ROFLMAO:
Seriously, have you seen the power band on a dynoed VNT?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Fwdperformance says I can send it to them and see if it's a chip issue and if it can be fixed.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts