Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i'll try to keep it brief with the explination. And i may get some flack for it, but i'll post more videos of the car literally "in action" when the restoration is complete. I'm working with Lyle, the guy rebuilding a movie prop car modeled of the Dodge M4S concept. This video is when he test-fired the engine that he dropped into the bay.

More info on the M4S here on the forums: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f54/127472-m4s-ppg-turbo-interceptor.html

You can see more on Lyle's project at: http://www.thewraithcar.com

I seem to be having trouble loading the youtube page, but there's a video of the real M4S making a time trial. It's really good. Just search for "Dodge M4S, PPG". Should be the second video down.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I can't wait to be able to watch those videos where I can listen to the sound!

I saw the origional car in person at SDAC18 in the Chrysler Museum...I literally got goosebumps when I saw it! Oh how I'd LOVE to own a copy of it one day!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't wait to be able to watch those videos where I can listen to the sound!

I saw the origional car in person at SDAC18 in the Chrysler Museum...I literally got goosebumps when I saw it! Oh how I'd LOVE to own a copy of it one day!
Well... you may be in luck. He's made molds of the body, and wants to talk to people about kits. I'm not sure about how that project is going to work yet, he's wanting to get the original car finished before he works on a different project. Just keep watching his website. :)

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
Ok, i'll try to keep it brief with the explination. And i may get some flack for it, but i'll post more videos of the car literally "in action" when the restoration is complete. I'm working with Lyle, the guy rebuilding a movie prop car modeled of the Dodge M4S concept. This video is when he test-fired the engine that he dropped into the bay.

More info on the M4S here on the forums: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f54/127472-m4s-ppg-turbo-interceptor.html

You can see more on Lyle's project at: http://www.thewraithcar.com

I seem to be having trouble loading the youtube page, but there's a video of the real M4S making a time trial. It's really good. Just search for "Dodge M4S, PPG". Should be the second video down.

He is actually doing something with the car now?
Last time I checked the car was not in good shape....
He has the bird twin to my dads.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Well... you may be in luck. He's made molds of the body, and wants to talk to people about kits. I'm not sure about how that project is going to work yet, he's wanting to get the original car finished before he works on a different project. Just keep watching his website. :)
As much money as the project cost why didn't it come with the right engine? I would think the Cosworth engine it had may be tough but it could have had a Masi Cosworth in it. Even an SRT 4 engine would be good as the car is basically a twin turbo 16v Dodge engine. I suppose if it was a dirt cheap kit thrown together I wouldn't say anything, but this is big money in the TD world.:confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much money as the project cost why didn't it come with the right engine? I would think the Cosworth engine it had may be tough but it could have had a Masi Cosworth in it. Even an SRT 4 engine would be good as the car is basically a twin turbo 16v Dodge engine. I suppose if it was a dirt cheap kit thrown together I wouldn't say anything, but this is big money in the TD world.:confused:
The car that Lyle has is merely a prop car that was used in The Wraith. Nothing about this car (other than the body) was matched up with the specs of the original M4S. In fact, from what i understand, there was basically no interior in the car. Just a seat, steering, and shifter. Lyle had to build this car from the ground up, and pretty much by guess work, that's what's taking so long. The M4S was a concept car, there was little information released about how it was built, so he is piecing it together (as best he can) to at least make it appear as it was in the movie and to take it to car shows. The engine bay for the prop cars were not made to hold the Cosworth. He had one, tried to make it fit, and it just wasn't happening. Rather than compromise the integrity of the existing frame, he dropped in an engine that fit... and would be fast. :)

He is actually doing something with the car now?
Last time I checked the car was not in good shape....
Yeah, when i went to see it a couple of years ago, it was in very poor shape. Once he got an idea in his head about what was going to work to make this "shell" a running car, he really took off. He's nearly done too, the paint will be applied this week (so he told me) and then it's just minor details.

Nice shots, thinkofhairy. Thanks for posting those. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I've got some really nice shots of the car as well. They aren't with me though, they are on my computer at my house in Jax... :(

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
wow that is sexy, first time ive seen and i think i just came my pants
um, get a grip?
:eek:

it is a cool car, sorta looks like they copied an acura nsx. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
um, get a grip?
:eek:

it is a cool car, sorta looks like they copied an acura nsx. ;)
The M4S was designed and built in 1984-85, the NSX debuted at the Chicago Auto Show in February 1989.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I dunno about Charlie Sheen FTW:rolleyes:, but I have watched the movie over and over. I've also paused it, slow-moed it, ect.! LOL

Honestly...it's a "B" movie and the ONLY reason we all like it is for the cars...other than that we could care less!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I use to live in Tucson where it was filmed. I have been over all those roads in my Daytona many times.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wrote cosworth. The head is still available from them for the price of 12,500 shipped. It was originally a head for a 2.3 ford, modified for a T2 bottom end. Not sure if that helps, the video clips look like a blown 3800.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I've got a crazy idea. I remember reading on a turbo Ford forum something about the DOHC Volvo heads being adaptable to the 2.0/2.3. So, if a Cosworth head for a 2.3 could fit on our bottom end, I wonder about that Volvo head? Hmmmm????

Also, you can still get the Ford Cosworth DOHC head used....you just have to find one. Expect to spend the same amount for one of those as a complete Masi head with manifolds.....

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
masi head with manifolds if you wanted you can get for about 1500-2K. i know because i have one and i could sell it if i wasnt going to use the motor. The guys are using the 16V volvo heads on the 2.3L Fords because it does mate, but a 2.3L ford turbo head does not mate with our 2.2Ls, totally different, my friend owns them and i've seen the 2.3L 16V cosworth head FORD Sierra that was available over seas because my friend's buddy in MD owns one. neat car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts